Hen broke a toe

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Hen broke a toe

Post by Jaye » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:57 am

Sorry to hear that she's still not improving. Sounds like you have a really good chicken vet.I wish there was one here in our area.
I had a good chuckle at the scenes you described where she sat in your lap while you drove. I think I would have done a double take too if I had seen a chicken head looking back at me from the car next to me at a traffic light. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 am

Well it's been a month since I first noticed Big Momma's crop issue this year. She has been back out in the coop for the past 2 weeks...not because she was cured but because I really didn't know what else to do and I figured she would either make it or she wouldn't. Nothing I was doing seemed to be working so I didn't have anything to lose. Her crop hasn't been sour for weeks. She had been treated with fluconazole. Her crop lining seemed to be swollen. She would eat things like cantalope and applesauce but not eggs or chicken food in any form.
Yesterday morning was the first time I felt her crop and it was CLOSE to normal. She's lost a significant amount of weight. I will have to continue to keep an eye on her as it gets colder. But for now I think we are out of the woods!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am

Sometime to let nature take it's course is a good solution too, after you have done your best, Mother Nature will sort it out.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Its hard when you just don't know whats wrong, and therefore just can't do much to help.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Big Momma is back to her old tricks again. She molted earlier than normal this fall and her crop ballooned and slowed to a crawl. I haven't been feeding any scratch or sunflower seeds because I always wondered if they were an issue for her. Clearly they aren't the problem. This year I began treating her with Canesten cream squirted into her mouth twice daily. Soooooo much easier than pills. She actually didn't seem to mind the taste. She's eating loads of cantaloupe. It seems to help keep her hydrated and it moves through her crop easily. Its taken years but I think we finally have a handle on how to deal with this yearly "sickness"
20190920_193734.jpg
Here's my old friend having a nice warm soak. She sits and watches TV and let's me know when the water is cooling 😂

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Ha!Ha! That's so cute, just goes to show if you watch and allow it they develope quite the character. Shes lucky she has you!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:56 am

My biggest mottled Serama pullet broke a toe somehow. It was sticking straight up. The inside toe on her left foot. I tried splinting it yesterday. She's quite sore and has a bit of swelling in the pad of her foot. How long do you think I should leave it splinted?

Return to “Health”