Hen broke a toe

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Head Chicken

Re: Hen broke a toe

Post by Happy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am

WWW I think you're right. She's had a few liquid poops but her crop is still huge. I think what caused the vet to take this direction was there was nothing "cheesy feeling" in her crop. It was all liquid. She's nibbling on her crumble but drinking a ton of water. Her breath doesn't stink like it did and she not burping when I massage her crop (Friday she did). She's definitely better than she was but not cured yet. She wants out and I'd love for her to get some exercise to help thinks along but of course she goes for grass immediately so back in her cage. If I need to grab an anti-fungal tomorrow I can. I wish I knew why this girl has these issues every molt because they get worse each year. I really don't think she's a feather eater. I did just start throwing them sunflower seeds a couple weeks ago but it's a couple handfuls each morning amongst 13 chickens. Since I've seen two whole ones in her poop though I guess she wasn't able to digest them. I realize that crop issues are typically an indication of something else (worms, laying problems, cancer, cocci) but she doesn't have an issue any other time of the year. Next fall I'm wrapping her in bubble wrap and feeding nothing but moistened chicken food!

Happy
Head Chicken

Post by Happy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Feeling much better today. She’s got her colour back. Crop is still large but not so watery and she’s pooping although it’s pretty loose. She was dying for a dust bath this aft. Not out of the woods yet but looks like she’s on the mend.
3B45FF88-C988-431B-9C26-35C2BBDC5256.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Fingers crossed here for her!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:35 pm

She looks great, perhaps she is a drama queen lol!

Jaye
Head Chicken

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Glad she's feeling better! She looks like a real character.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Some time in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.