loose poop

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
labradors
Head Chicken

loose poop

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Should I be concerned that one of my four has runny poop? The others seem to be fine. I can't see any worms.....

They came from Frey's 5 weeks ago (RTL Red Sexlinks) and I'm new to chicken raising.

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: loose poop

Post by Happy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Is every poop loose from that bird? Do you notice her drinking more than the rest? Does she have poopy butt feathers? Do they get kitchen scraps? (Mine do and if I give them too many I have one girl that gets a horrible behind from it)
When I have chicks with poopy butt I give them some oatmeal to bind things up a bit. It's a temporary fix but you could try it. If she seems to otherwise be eating normal I'd probably just keep a close eye. Being a newbie though do remember that chickens will hide an illness until they can't any longer. They will pretend to eat so the others won't notice something wrong. So you really need to watch. I learned that lesson the hard way so just passing it along.

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: loose poop

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Many thanks Happy!

I don't know who has the looseys! No dirty butts. I feed them dandelion leaves a few times a day because they've eaten all the vegetation in the run. Hope that's not too much to unbalance their food.

The food bowl is inside the coop so I don't really see them eat, but when I put food in the bowl, they all flock around and tuck in.

Linda

Return to “Health”