Alfalfa meal

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Epona
Starting to Crow

Alfalfa meal

Post by Epona » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Do you feed alfalfa meal? This was an interesting article. Even though it is about peafowl, thought I'd share. I'm thinking of trying. Quite interesting info about calcium levels.
http://www.peafowl.org/articles/captive ... ird-diets/

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Alfalfa meal

Post by Jaye » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 am

Where do you even get alfalfa meal?
I've read several anecdotal articles saying that it's a good thing to supplement feed with alfalfa in the winter because it encourages a better rate of lay, but no scientific study results. This is the first article I've seen that references its conclusions to a scientific article. I did toy with the idea of trying alfalfa, but then couldn't find any except in pelleted form in large bags, so forgot about it.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm

I haven't looked yet to source it at the local feed stores. I give them a flake of 2nd cut hay once and awhile in the winter. Thought the meal might be a bit cleaner to do. Plus, I was thinking of putting a bit on the chicks' feed as a green supplement.

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Any feed mill that makes rabbit pellets uses alfalfa meal. They should make you up a bag if you ask. Rabbit pellets themselves are usually no more than 30% alfalfa meal.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 pm

I would use only plain alfalfa pellets - rabbit pellets could have salt and other additives. The alfalfa pellets I bought here were large and really hard (they were made for horses). I tried to smash them but that didn't work. I soaked them in water until they started to come apart, but the chickens didn't really eat it. I put it in their feeder and it made the feed wet. The other thing I tried is to soak them in some yogurt until they softened. The chickens liked them that way. If you get actual meal, not pellets, they might eat it better if it's mixed with yogurt or something. If it's a dry powder would they eat it?

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm

We just got second cut done. So I swept all the chaff off the wagons, to the "your nuts" comments from my husband. I even raked all the chaff up under the loader. I've now got 3 feed bags full and the chicks love it. So I wonder too how granular the meal is. When I run out of this stuff, I'll have to get serious and check at the mill.

Return to “Health”