Hen with fluid swelling between thigh and belly

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Hen with fluid swelling between thigh and belly

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 am

For information purposes for people who have multiple poultry species with access to each other...I have a hen that about a month ago started acting off, not moving around much, hiding, droopy, not wanting to get off the roost, and black tarry stools. On inspection, she had what appeared to be a long, thin, seemingly fluid-filled pouch at the side of her belly, almost right where it meets her thigh. At first I was stymied and thought to ask about it here, but it niggled at me as something familiar that I'd seen before, so I thought on it for a bit, and remembered that last year, I had a juvenile male goose suddenly die from being mounted by a mature male (I witnessed but wasn't in time to stop it) and when I processed it, he had a similar edema under his butt/belly skin, and he was ruptured inside and herniated.
The hen is still alive, and no better but no worse. I instituted my three day rule and on day 3 she seemed the same but laid an egg.She's laying as well as she did before she got weird, so I'm leaving her to it for now. She's obviously uncomfortable to my eyes, and still has gross black runny poop, but in a species that goes off lay if the wind sounds funny one night, if she's laying eggs, I won't put her to the axe.
On thinking about it, I'm almost 100% certain she was mounted by one of my waterfowl, and that caused her problems. The fact that she's not dead means it was probably my runty, loner black muscovy drake. None of the muscovy hens like him, so he'll climb on anything that stays still for long. If it had been one of the full sized drakes or one of the ganders, I think it would have killed her pretty quickly. As it is, I'm amazed she's still alive. I tried to gently push the herniated tissue back where it belongs, but it hurt her.
Just something to keep in mind if you happen to have lonely male waterfowl that have access to your landfowl.

Return to “Health”