Help, what is wrong with my chicken???

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Help, what is wrong with my chicken???

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 am

I found what looked to be a healing injury on my 11 week old chicken five days ago. I separated her, soaked her, gave her penicillin for four days and daily blu kote on her wound. Well, it is not getting better. It is getting way way worse. Is this an illness? Do I need to give it more time? I have no idea what else to do. She is my favourite :( I attached two original picks and two from today.
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Help, what is wrong with my chicken???

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 am

This is an infection like bumblefoot. Injected antibiotics cant get there-you need to open it and drain it and pack antibiotics right inside the wound. Its likely she had an injury that got infected.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:43 am

crap. I am not sure how to open it. scrap that black part off?

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:44 am

The penicillin was just in her water. Not sure how to get antibiotics otherwise.

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:45 am

Should I scrape off the scab type thing? or cute through it?

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:46 am

oops, in my panic I posted basically the same question twice

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:47 am

Do you have any polysporin? You will need to soak the leg in warm water and gently scrub/pry that scab off. It will bleed....squeeze out whatever you can and then put a big glob of polysporin right inside. Put a gauze over it and then wrap it. Clean it out every day....hopefully it will granulate tissue and heal over.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:49 am

If its bad right around her leg you may need to lance the other side-make a small cut with a knife/scalpel through the scales and squish what you can out of there too. Pack it the same way.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 am

Vet wrap works wonders to wrap chicken legs. My local farm supply stocks it (in the horse section) but vets will usually sell you a couple rolls from their stock _ it's not out for sale you have to ask. I just dealt with a bad bumblefoot. Had a vet inject it with an antibiotic. He sent me home with betadine to apply at least once a day. Chickens heal surprisingly fast once you find the right treatment. Polysporin ointment (not cream) seems to work faster I find but just my observation. Hope you can get things turned around for her.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:27 am

If you have injectable antibiotics you can also inject that right into the wound....vet wrap is awesome stuff. I have horses so i buy it by the box lol. I just cut the wrap in half so its half as wide and use it for wrapping whatever needs it on chickens. I do secure the end with a full circle of tape though because the birds can find the end and pick it off....

Return to “Health”