Help! Something is wrong.

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Re: Help! Something is wrong.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:30 pm
That sounds terrible, I don't have much experience with disease, my first move would be to check the feed for mold,
although the fact only one breed is affected probably eliminates that, I would put everybody on Super booster for a week,
to see if it will make a difference.
If these chicks are from purchased eggs, there is a possibility that the eggs themselves were contaminated.
Either way, I would separate the affected chicks until you know what is going on.

@Ontario Chick, is there a place around Ottawa that sells super booster? Ritchie's said they don't sell it.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Yes sr you can soak it or run it through a coffee grinder....soaking is easier and faster
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:47 pm

They carry it in TSC, also feed store in Almonte and Wool growers in Carleton Place, but I have some here and you are welcome to it, I am probably closer to you then any of these places.
I am in the Stittswille Carp area let me know if you want it and I will send you directions by e-mail

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Also, Rooney's carries it. Good luck with your chicks. Hope they pull through.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:47 pm
They carry it in TSC, also feed store in Almonte and Wool growers in Carleton Place, but I have some here and you are welcome to it, I am probably closer to you then any of these places.
I am in the Stittswille Carp area let me know if you want it and I will send you directions by e-mail
Thank you for the offer, I see super booster has penicillin so I am going to try the stress aid and feed change first and see what happens. More and more I am feeling there was something wrong with that feed, or maybe it's wishful thinking.

They are loving the baby mush I made them.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Hope the little guys make it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Vitamins break down over time, so if the feed sat in a warehouse a little long, it could be deficient. Were the Welsummer chicks in with your bantam chicks when they started looking unbalanced?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 am

i once got feed that had rat poison mixed in....so it is totally possible the feed could be off. they do their best to avoid problems, but heat, humidity, accidents etc do happen. i do hope it's the feed and you can pull them through okay!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 am

They put some crazy things in feed, I once got some feed with sweet tarts in it, I tasted it so I know thats what it was. Another time they notified me that some medication had accidentally been put in the feed but that it shouldn't hurt chickens.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

I have one EO chick that is showing several signs of vitamin deficiency. I bought Poul-Vite and I'm giving it to all of them in the water. The sick one is improving but I had to make it drink several times yesterday and today. It's quite weak. This afternoon I could hold it near the water and it drank on its own. It is also eating a bit. I separated it from the rest. They are bigger and keep running over it. Some small improvements. Maybe it will be ok.

I hope yours get better.

Return to “Health”