Home made scratch and supplements

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Home made scratch and supplements

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:49 am

I'm not pleased with the non-GMO scratch I got for my chickens this fall, it's too pulverized and dusty, and from what I've read there's not a whole lot of anything good for the chickens in it, so I won't buy scratch any more. Empty calories!
So I'm formulating my own scratch, and this is what I want to add:

Oats (whole grain, processed)
Flax seed, whole (not too much)
Sesame seeds (high in calcium)(they go apesh*t over these)
Pumpkin seeds, hulled- high in lysine compared to other grains and seeds
Black oil sunflower seed

This scratch will be fattening (and expensive) and I don't plan on giving much. It's mostly for winter entertainment.

I also want to add parsley to their diet. Mine will eat parsley that's been frozen in the greenhouse, I haven't tried it fresh yet. It would be good if they ate it as it's high in lysine, which is deficient in most plant sources of protein, and it's high in riboflavin which breeding hens need for healthy chicks.

Any other ideas what I should add to the mix?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Re: Home made scratch and supplements

Post by SandyM » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am

Did you get scratch from Windy Fields?
My guys leave too much behind with their scratch. But of course I have 4 25kg bags to get through so I'm mixing it in with their feed on these cold days and offering it just before bed.

I thought a primary scratch ingredient was corn?

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:04 pm

No I got the scratch from Victoria feeds, it comes from Alliston. It was crap and I won't buy it again.
Chicken feed doesn't keep- the fresher the better. Especially cracked corn, if it gets damp, will be prone to mould and mycotoxins. Corn is useful for energy (more than 70|% starch) and for the carotene, but it's low in fat and protein. The scratch I have has barley, cracked (looks more crushed to me, ugh) corn, wheat and oats and the oats weren't rolled and are poor quality. Chickens do not need much fibre so I might try to find a source of the hull less oats they feed pigs. They will eat rolled horse oats, but they prefer the prepared breakfast oats.
I toss them a few handfuls of scratch just to keep them busy but I want to be rid of it.

Try not to keep chicken feed around for very long, best to buy by one bag at a time and ask your supplier how fresh the feed is. Your chickens may be leaving the scratch because it's lost its nutritional value.
In colder weather, it will of course keep longer, heat and damp will destroy nutrients more quickly.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Have you tried Whole Corn Robbie ? Safer than cracked far as mould . I feed it to everything including pigeons & ring necked doves . Just be sure grit , I use grower always available . Critters have an in grown way of digesting feeds & the digesting part helps to keep um warm .
If you mix your own scratch do you know what protein etc it will contain , plus minerals & vitamins or do you feed that on the side ? Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:34 pm

I'll just be feeding as scratch, on the side, not too much. I don't want to unbalance their diet. I am pleased with the pelleted layer feed I got from the same source, it's complete and that is their main diet along with Windy fields layer mash which is also a complete feed.
My chickens do have grit, I'll take your advice and try some whole corn. They do like corn so I'd like to feed them some especially in winter.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Robbie ... I feed my whole corn in a separate feeder . Not all birds dive right into it so this way they don't pic & throw out . I find as weather gets colder they eat more corn . I also find that what / when they need they will eat if there . Luck

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Don't overthink it too much. If just fed as a treat or for extra calories, I wouldn't obsess too much about what grains you throw in. Grain and corn calories are not 'empty' calories for a chicken in winter, unless that's ALL they're eating. But if you're concerned about protein level, get some roasted maple peas in there, or supplement with meat or meal worms or cat kibble (or, or or LOL) and you're good to go!

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 pm

I would agree don't overthink it. If they are already eating a layer pellet and a layer mash, that right there gives them some variety in the diet and still keeps their diet balanced. For extra energy in cold weather or as a treat give BOSS and/or whole corn. That is basically what I have been doing lately for everyone (chickens, guineas, turkeys) and seems to be going well.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 am

Okay..as usual, my inexperience opens questions in my mind and i just blurt it out...but can someone tell me why scratch...it seems that if you are feeding a well balanced feed mix suited to the chicken's ages, and they have some open ground to do their thing on that you don't need a scratch...i mean, I'm all for treating my birds with some TLC and a bit of variety in diet but its not a requirement, is it?....
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 am

Scratch was first developed as a feed to throw on ground to teach chickens to "scratch" ground for feed especially incubated babies with no momma to teach um . I agree not necessary if feeding a good all around processed feed . Like the pic / advertising on a dog food bag it's mainly a good warm feeling thing for the owners & usually the cracked corn gets wasted & mouldy if not cleaned up regularly . That's why I feed whole corn in separate feeder to use if wanted /needed only in winter to all my birds . . Luck

Return to “Health”