Removed SPURS today....like a PRO!!!

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Removed SPURS today....like a PRO!!!

Post by Poultryprincess » Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm

I have removed SPURS a few times.
Twice with a dremel, & once with small pliers.
Last night I watched a few online videos using a "HOT potato" :rofl:

I washed my 5 yr old EE roosters feet.
Poured Hydrogen peroxide over the feet.
Rinsed well, & then stuck a hot potator on the Spur.
I covered the entire spur & the tat was touching the root of the spur @ the leg.
Was only on for 2 minutes, then pulled the tat off.
Using my small pliers, I clamped the spur & twisted gently.
Took maybe 2 turns & it popped off.

I lightly sprayed with Benatine & then I covered with an anticoagulant.
It was SO fast, NO muss or Fuss.
I like this method better than the dremel. My roo didn't sit still when I used it.
(PS ~ the line mark you see on hte spur is from the Dremel last time )
TRY it!!!
IMG_1079 (2).JPG
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Removed SPURS today....like a PRO!!!

Post by WLLady » Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 am

i've done them this way! worked like a charm!!!! although the rooster was a bit perplexed with the "why are you putting that on me?" with the potato. but it was really really fast and easy. i didn't use any stop bleed or anything, had some sitting there in case i needed it....just betadine and kept an eye on him for a few days. they hardened up real fast, and he actually seemed relieved to have shorter spurs again!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Yup. Best way I know of, no blood, no real pain, clean, and generally no complications.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Thu May 25, 2017 2:43 pm

My guy bled a tiny bit....I might have squeezed the pliers tighter than I should.
He was fine the next day. Today the spur looks good enough to move him back.
BUT will wait another day.
Their perch is about 2 ft up & better if the spur is hard enough to stand the jump down.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:42 pm

I removed Harley's Spurs today using this method. I had filed his Spurs down previously to try to keep them under control because they grow upside down! Has anybody ever seen that before? His Spurs both grow towards the ground. The poor guy damaged his back toe (I'm assuming from jumping down off his perch he drove the spur into his toe and broke the nail) I really should have removed his Spurs earlier.
Anyway, this method worked great and there was very minimal blood. The "root" of the spur is bigger than I expected it would be. Will it shrink back a bit? Or will it just harden now. I'm asking because it's very sharp and already semi hard and given that it's still pointing down towards his toe I think I may still need to do something sooner rather than later.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 am

If they are really long, or pointing badly as in your case, you can take a side cutter and snip some off the end. There is more blood but it shortens them and makes the end that grows back a little less sharp. Don't go too high, the higher, the more blood.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:06 pm

I've had two Giant roosters that had spurs pointing to the ground. And one mixed breed bantam who's spurs are very long and curve up into his rump! I was getting almost zero fertility for a couple of months from that pen, couldn't figure out why, figured maybe he was getting old... then one night I noticed he never sat down on the roost and was also walking funny. Had a look at his feet and couldn't believe I hadn't noticed those monster spurs before! I just twisted them off, no potato. Relief was so immediate that he almost immediately hopped on a hen, even though I'm sure the exposed root must have been tender, I guess it was better than stabbing himself in the arse. Old Owl's one spur would curve up and poke him in the leg, but little Speck's spurs poking him in the butt were the most extreme ridiculous things I've ever seen.

Return to “Health”