ILT or something else?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

ILT or something else?

Post by Zlorfik » Sat May 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi everyone, your usual person freaking out following his ILT episode. One of my meaties is doing a classic ilt syndrome, extending its neck and gasping, BuT! I only observed it twice, once was straight under the heat lamp. Immediately took it outside in the duck pen where it been happily running around. I hear no wheezing, see no discharge and the eyes are bright and open. So my question is, could something else be causing this behaviour ? The have to make a decision quickly because we have No other place to hold her besides the meaties pen. For reference, the bird is a frey slow growth meat bird.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: ILT or something else?

Post by Happy » Sat May 20, 2017 5:17 pm

I have seen chicks do that when too hot. How old are they? And how hot is their brooder? My only guess sorry.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat May 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Maybe it had trouble swallowing something. I wouldnt worry unless it does it repeatedly. The other thing that can cause that is gapeworm....but honestly i have only heard of gapeworm from one person in my many years of chicken craziness and that was in a turkey....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:46 pm

What are your housing situation like .. high levels of ammonia will give similar respitory symptoms with out discharge .. just a thought
TL

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat May 20, 2017 6:24 pm

If he's running around, eating and drinking as usual, and no coughing or head shaking, I wouldn't worry quite so much. A bird with a mild form will be tired and off-feed, a bird with more severe disease will head shake violently when they're trying to clear a blood clot. The gaspy ones will have yellowish plaques at the opening to their lungs...easily seen if you want to pry someone's mouth open and have a look. Could just be too warm too...meaties are little furnaces and need a LOT less heat than other chicks, for a much shorter be period of time.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat May 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Could it have been choking on a shaving or piece of whatever is on the floor?

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 pm

I went with the ammonia answer. There was a faint smell indeed. Changed the bedding over today, added some stall dry as well. Thanks everyone :wee:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 pm

I can completely understand why you would freak out.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun May 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Zlorfik wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 pm
I went with the ammonia answer. There was a faint smell indeed. Changed the bedding over today, added some stall dry as well. Thanks everyone :wee:
How's your ventilation in the coop ? Especially overnite .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Wed May 24, 2017 1:24 pm

The ''coop'' is a barn. So I have a couple of ventilation options, really, opening barn doors. which I normally do at night. THe other end of the barn also has windows, I leave them ajar. I may be installing more windows this year so I can leave them open. They are happier now.

Return to “Health”