Question Where to procure ILT TCO vaccine

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Where to procure ILT TCO vaccine

Post by Zlorfik » Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 am

Hello, I would like to provide our new layers with the ILT TCO vaccine since we are recovering from an outbreak last winter. Question is, where can I get it? I live close to Ottawa and don't mind driving a bit. Also, any suggestions for administration? At what age should I administer? Our chicks are currently three days old and in the brooder still.

Oh, do I need to vaccinate my guinea fowls?
Thank you!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Where to procure ILT TCO vaccine

Post by WLLady » Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 am

I know you can get it from the vets at guelph.....and the administration depends on the vaccine
i honestly have no clue if there's a vet close to ottawa that carries it, you could try phoning around to different vets and see? or call guelph vet college and see if they know a vet that they source to out there.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm

I get it from a friend, who gets it from a friend, who gets it either from her livestock vet or directly from Guelph lol. So not sure on sourcing lol.I know JimW on here ordered a bunch a while back, so you could try PM ing him for contact info. It's a two part vaccine that must be kept refrigerated, but is good for years in the fridge. You mix it right before use and then must use it within 2 hours. It's an eyedrop. It's of no use on chicks under 4 weeks old, as they don't have an immune system of their own yet, just antibodies 'passed down' from the egg. To administer, for me, I find it easiest to keep them all in the coop in the morning​. Squat down, hold the eyedropper bottle in my right hand (I'm a righty) while pinning the birds body to my left thigh with the right arm. I use my left hand to hold the birds head against my left knee, and the fingers of that hand to keep her from squeezing her eye shut, though they usually don't unless they're violently squirming. Then plop, in goes the eye drop, they blink a bit then I toss them out so I know who hasn't been done yet. If they don't blink, you missed. Large birds like turkeys require two pairs of hands, or a feedsack with a corner cut out for their head to poke through. If they flap, or struggle, they can cut you with claws or wings, and taking a wing in the face is very painful and can dislocate your nose. The girls are especially bad for struggling. The feedsack restraint works for any bird that struggles excessively, and is handy if you're doing them for the first time or are alone with large birds, but it's faster and less traumatic just to hold them against your legs. Any attempt to perhaps save your back/knees/hips and do it on a work bench or table, will require two people, and probably result in a trip to the E.R. for stitches roflmbo

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Dr Lloyd Webber. 519 821 5963.
here it is.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am

You are all great :banana:

Thank you for helping me out and the advice; I've confirmed that the vet who took care of me here (Dundas Veterinary Services in Winchester) can get the vaccine for me, and they have done it for others in the past. As for administering, my wife and I will league to make it happen but the drop then release idea sounds great.

thank you all!

Return to “Health”