closed eyes?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

closed eyes?

Post by ChickenLittle » Mon May 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey all, I have nine chicks who are about 6 weeks old. They had coccidiosis which I treated and it cleared up quickly (yay). They have al been lovely for the past week. However today I noticed that one of my chicks is walking around with her eyes closed. Eating normally, running around but with closed eyes. Not crusty, not red, totally normal looking when she opens them. She doesn't feel warm, about the same temp as the other chicks. She isn't ruffled either. She has always been the calmest one, hops on my feet looking for me to pet her and carry her around. No different today except that she kept her eyes closed most of the time. I always giggle when I pick her up and she snuggles up and closes her eyes right away but this walking around with closed eyes was different. Should I watch and wait? My plan was to pick up some vitamin supplements to replace any thiamin that was lost due to the amprol treatment. I didn't want to treat too soon in case there was still some coccidiosis hanging around.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: closed eyes?

Post by WLLady » Mon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Are you sure both eyes are closed when she is walking around? Chicks are notorious for pecking at other chicks eyes because they are a different colour. I doubt the cocci would have anything to do with it. Look for bubbles in the corners of her eyes-thats a sign of respiratory problems. Also check and see if she has something in her eyes-dust, shavings etc. If they look inflamed or irritated at all the eye polysporin for peope is okay for chicks or wash them out with warmed up saline. Hopefully she is just closing one eye at a time and not actually having both closed at the same time!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Mon May 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Its is definitely both! She will open them to run around for a minute but then when she is just walking they are closed. They have been together for all but the first two weeks and nobody has been fighting that we see. They are all different colours. No bubbles or anything. Not so much worried about the coccidia but if it she is just feeling yucky after treatment.

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Tue May 16, 2017 7:39 am

So day two. Went open the run and she is still doing it! Started them on super booster yesterday. Picked her up and had a good look at her and she opened her eyes briefly at me but that was it. Door opened and she ran out with her eyes closed with the rest. Not sure what to think of it. Her eyes still look totally normal. It was a bit windy yesterday. I wonder if she maybe got a bit of dirt in her eyes and they are irritated?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 16, 2017 8:07 am

Try some of the Polysporin eye drops. That may help.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am

well, I started the chicks back on Amprol at half the dose. I think that the coccidiosis they had was not quite killed. Everything I had read was divided between treating for 5 days or treating for five days full dose and five days half. I had only treated for the five so hopefully this takes care of it. 48 hours later the chick was back to normal. The others were a bit lethargic looking as well and everyone is right as rain now :) Got to them before the bloody poop started but I am pretty sure that was the issue.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 19, 2017 1:23 pm

You may want to treat for 10 days to make sure it is all taken care of....my vet told me 5 days double dose and then 5 days standard dose....10 days total.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

yeah, I had already done the 5 days full dose then I stopped. It wasn't long ago though so I think I will be ok with just the five. Especially since there were no other symptoms other than lethargy. Fingers crossed!

Return to “Health”