DE as a wormer

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: DE as a wormer

Post by ross » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Interesting that works for some & not for others . Seeing there's no real dosage listed as in chemical wormers could be the reason . No idea .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 pm

I have been adding DE to feed from day one...natural wormer etc. However. Recently an adult round worm was found in a poop on my poop tarp from coop ... That is a very clear message to me. DE didn't work. An adult worm to boot. I haven't added DE since to their feed.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Have you had any samples anylized from your birds to see what they have Sandy ? If I found a worm as big as one in your pic no matter what wormer I used personally I'd take a sample of some others to vet & get a professional opinion & remedy . Doesn't have to be a poultry vet .

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:50 am

Do they just do microscope Ross? I have my own here and was thinking of making up some poop slides and googling my way through.

I could def take into my local vet - he has a farm counter.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:27 am

Up to you . But Google does not make you a vet . Luck

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:39 am

Nope, I'm not a vet and neither would the person doing the tests...Vet techs.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:55 am

Experience people they are under vet supervising if needed but do what ever you want you asked I said . If it was as easy as Google every one could/would do it . Are you a vet tech ?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:53 am

I worm chickens (adults) twice a year. Fenbendazole in spring, ivermectin in the fall, is my program. I Didn't need to do fenbendazole this spring (chicks only). But they will get it in the spring now that they are adults. Dogs and cat get Drontal twice a year (Ouch $$$) because of the raw meat diet they are on.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Arbor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Arbor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Since adding de to my flocks' feed, I've noticed a significant increase in vitality in my chickens. The guy I bought my de from says he takes it himself in oj every morning - not as a wormer, but he says he's noticed an overall improvement on how he feels. So whether it works as a wormer or not, I'm not sure, but my hens seem generally healthier. I may do some samples in the spring, but their crap looks healthier already.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Well, looks like you've all given me lots of food for thought. ;-)
I just finished treating mine with Ivermectin because I found scaly leg mites on one of my birds, so I don't think I'll experiment with adding DE to their feed as a wormer just yet anyway.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Health”