Crooked beak in chick

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Crooked beak in chick

Post by ChickenLittle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 am

I just noticed that one of my almost 2 week old EE chicks has an offset beak. The bottom and top don't quite line up. Seems to be eating and drinking totally fine for now. Has anyone seen this before? It seems mobile, jaw moves back and forth ok, doesn't seem broken. I am wondering if it will straighten out as it grows or if it will get worse. I guess only the will tell?

madison174
On the Roost
Answers: 1

Crooked beak in chick

Post by madison174 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Sometimes they stay fine, sometimes they don't. Just watch that it can eat and drink, a deeper dish allows them to scoop up more. We have one in our misfit crew that has a slightly crooked beak but does just fine, she's got no issues telling off the other misfits lol! We had another that we just kept her beak trimmed a bit and that kept it from crossing. Just keep an eye on it :)

Return to “Health”