Egg laying and feeding fruit?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:57 pm

I remember when I lived in BC, a neighbor telling me not to feed the chickens fruit, that it would make them quit laying.

I am working in an orchard here, and have access to spoiled fruit from the cooler. Have been feeding pears and apples to goats, horses, chickens etc.

Chickens are not laying like they should. 5 eggs from 20 or so. Yes, a few of the girls are seniors, but not that many.

I will quit feeding to chickens today and see if it makes a difference. Anyone else know about this? Maybe the science? Nature tells them if there is fruit that fall is here, not time to breed?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Wgg laying and feeding fruit?

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

I touch type. That should have been Egg, not Wgg. Took typing in high school. Boys took shop. Girls took typing. I grew up in my dads shop. Figured I would visit with the girls. Never been sorry any which way.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Wgg laying and feeding fruit?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Not something I'd ever heard. I feed occasional (weekly-ish) fruit year round. Everybody had a GLUT of apples last fall, and except for the ones with chicks or in moult, I don't recall any immediate production slowdowns. December didn't see many eggs, but nothing unexpected. That was the first time I'd unloaded loads of fruit on them. I'd be curious to hear others experiences...Also wondering if a GLUT of vitamin C maybe turns their inner workings to focusing on other things rather than eggs... I've heard it said that chickens need very little so I'm wondering if loads of fruit is hard on their kidneys.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:24 am

A lot of fruits are full of fiber and are acidic. Fiber will fill them up and they will eat less protein. Not enough protein means less or no eggs. If their gut is too acidic, it could screw up their good bacteria, and prevent them from digesting properly, so they may not get the correct balance of nutrients to produce eggs.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

I feed apples during winter in combination with whatever leftovers available from the house, since they don't have an access to outside,
but it forms a very small part of their diet and by the time the chores are done in the morning the dishes from the 3 pens are empty and ready to be collected.
Since they have a free access to feed, clean water and calcium at all times, I trust they will follow their instinct and have just the right amount of whatever their little chicken hearts desire. ;)
Chicken breakfast Winter.jpg
Whole oats and fit of flax seed go on top of that.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:46 am

I remember Dr. Internet informing me that apple seeds were harmful if available in quantity.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Yes, Apple seeds have Cyanide in the outer brown coating. Helps them keep out pests and stuff and squirrels from eating them while they get ready to sprout, nature developed them that way. Not sure of the exact content, but I have been told that about a cup of apple seeds could kill a human. I do feed apples some times, but not to excess. Apple cider maker near me has offered me the pulp for my animals and I have declined because of it.

Probably going to start something here, but to those that say "Its natural, it must be OK." Some natural things like apple seeds and mushrooms can hurt and kill you. I love wild mushrooms, but not all of them. Some snake venoms are used for medicinal purposes in the right dose, but not in the dose that a Black Mamba or a King Cobra delivers it. Just because its natural doesn't clear it of all danger. And because something is irradiated to kill germs or a wheat variety specifically bred for certain traits doesn't make it bad for you.

I believe in science used properly and focused on a problem. I don't believe in using too broad a brush to paint everything black or white. Don't use roundup on your whole field, but spot use should not be forbidden for a knapweed or thistle infestation. Don't use antibiotics prophylactically for the whole herd, but if something is sick with an infection, use it in a proper manner. (That's why I don't buy commercial chick starter, it usually has antibiotics in it, and my broodies teach the chicks what kind of bugs or seeds to eat.)

Science properly applied and good sense can do us all a lot of good. My opinion anyway.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:28 pm

OC that salad looks delicious!!
Farrier I agree with you, in fact look up natural flavour , it actually means nothing, could be all synthetic.
I feed apples in the fall, production drops naturally at that time of year so I never noticed if it makes a difference.
Hey Farrier take some pictures of your ameraucanas, would like to see how they turned out.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Kenya, here you go.
Attachments
Americaunas for Kenya.jpg
Americaunas for Kenya.jpg (13.94 KiB) Viewed 3011 times

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Oh, OK. I will get the camera out and put something up, give me a day or two. They eat out of my hand, which is great, as I did not raise them.

Return to “Health”