Raw pumpkin/squash seeds?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Raw pumpkin/squash seeds?

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:29 am

Don't know about seeds but don't feed things like walnuts. They have toxins in them that could build up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:33 am

My guys love pepper seeds. I don't feed app,e seeds just because of the arsenic .. But occasionally I don't think would be an issue. Pears never make it to the chickens here ... My favourite piece of tree fruit and the core my dog eats.
My guys love banana, grapes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, especially the field ones with all the seeds. Sometimes if you want them to try, sprinkle some of their feed on the squash then they accidentally get a taste and are hooked!

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Bananas! I hate them and if I can feed them to the birds that would be great! Do you peel them or just toss those smell things whole to them. Added bonus if I don't have to handle more than necessary. Your thinking why do I even have them in the house? Long story short: Ukranian 99 yr old father lives in an assisted living facility. Hates bananas too, but is served them at breakfast. He paid for them, he is taking them.....gives to me, despite protest. Know any senior Eastern Europeans? Then you know resistance is futile.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 pm

I sometimes feed bananas when they are too ripe and already have several banana loaves in the freezer LOL! They seem to eat a little and wipe their beaks as if they don't like the texture.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Epona wrote:Bananas! I hate them and if I can feed them to the birds that would be great! Do you peel them or just toss those smell things whole to them. Added bonus if I don't have to handle more than necessary. Your thinking why do I even have them in the house? Long story short: Ukranian 99 yr old father lives in an assisted living facility. Hates bananas too, but is served them at breakfast. He paid for them, he is taking them.....gives to me, despite protest. Know any senior Eastern Europeans? Then you know resistance is futile.
I LOVE bananas.
Smash bananas up, add oats, flax, wheat germ, raisins/dried cranberries, seeds (I add probiotics but a choice).
They go crazy for it!! I buy the the discounted bananas at fhe grocery store.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:41 pm

My birds eat ALL kinds of fruit & Veggies. I haven't found anything they do not eat.
I use my bananas to thicken my smoothies, or make Banana zucchini bread....mmmmm
IF I give bananas to birds, I chop in a few bits, but they prefer it mixed with oats or corn.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:06 am

Apple AND pear seeds have a compound in them that the human liver turns into cyanide, however you'd have to eat a whole whackload of them to get even a tummy upset. Safe for chickens in moderation. Pepper seeds are fine. Don't bother feeding bananas with peel ON, or you'll have to handle those peels again anyway when you pick them up lol--they won't eat them. They're bitter and also covered with pesticides.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks everyone! Good info. I don't think that they will be getting any bananas from me though. I use all the bananas I get and if I'm unable to use them, I freeze them for future use.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 am

Any gourd type offering is consumed like it was the last food on earth...the only seeds that the girls don't care for are black sunflower that we put out for the wild birds here...kinda odd but meh.....
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:46 am

Go easy on apple seeds, a few will be fine but don't save up a lot- Peach and apricot, never. (These all contain compounds that break down into cyanide, apple seeds just a trace. ) My chickens absolutely love pepper seeds, they eat those first, both the chile peppers and sweet ones.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Health”