Higher protein feed for molt ?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Higher protein feed for molt ?

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:19 am

Killerbunny wrote:Yup a bunch of mine decided January was good time to be naked too! You can get higher protein layer base (40%) which I mix in with the mash. Getting mine from Rooneys but you should be able to get similar from your feed mill.
Highest chicken layer I can get here is 18%.
KB what exactly are you getting that is 40% protein?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am

Trout pellets sure are available here, I used to buy 50 lb bags of it to feed to my turtles back in the day from a local feed store... apparently there is no scientific proof that feeding fish to chickens makes there eggs taste fishy... I suspect that is one of those things that once a person knows the birds ate fish that suddenly the eggs taste like fish, subliminal.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 am

you guys are going to think i'm trying to turn my birds into cats, but my go to is "country cat" cat food as treats during moulting. my girls gobble them up and then look for more....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:38 am

I read that thread, but didn't have success with it when we had cats, so don't want to go that route again now that we don't.
Also want my life as simple as possible and bag from feed store fills that bill. Will drive to Kemptville if I have to, but planning to terrorize the local feed stores staff first and was hoping to be full of useful info before I go. ;)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:47 am

Pet Value in Kemptville carries Martin Mills Fish Pellets OC. heres a link to the site, http://www.martinmills.com/aquaculture-index.html and heres a retailer location search http://www.nitebridge.com/martins/fish.asp
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 am

The higher protein is just the layer mash base that they then mix in. They should know what you want. I don't have the tag still on the bag ATM.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 am

Heres a link to petvalues site. Proficient Floating Trout Pellets, $56.29 for 20kg (44lb) bag at 45% Protein. Im going to be looking into this as well.

http://petvalu.com/product/31743/profic ... ets-martin

Heres the Anylsis:

Crude Protein (min.) 45.0%
Sodium (act) 0.45%
Crude Fat (min.) 9.0%
Crude Fibre (max.) 3.5%
Calcium (actual) 0.9%
Phosphorus (actual) 1.0%
Vitamin A (min) 6
800 I.U./kg
Vitamin D3 (min) 2
100 I.U./kg
Vitamin E (min) 320 I.U./kg
Vitamin C (min) 315 IU/Kg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:04 pm

I may be suffering from too much information, perhaps collecting the feathers they dropped and grind them and feed them back would be the cheapest source of protein and I would know it wasn't coming from suspect sources?

Crude protein
Meat & Bone.....50.4 %
Blood.............88.9%
Feather...........81 %
Poultry............60%

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 pm

i know eh... heres some more info from feedipedia about feather meal and poultry meal. Interesting stuff...

Feather meal: http://www.feedipedia.org/node/213

Poultry
Broilers and laying hens

Pullets fed feather meal was found to grow satisfactorily, the addition of methionine was found to improve performance (Khajarern et al., 1982a). The effect of supplementing feather meal with 0.2 to 0.5 % methionine was found to increase carcass quality in broilers and egg weight and shell thickness in layers (Miranda et al., 1981)

Ducks

Feather meal can provide up to 50 % of the supplemental protein for young growing duckling, 100 % for older growing ducks and 50 % in ducks that are laying (Sucheep Suksupath, 1980).

Poultry Meal: http://www.feedipedia.org/node/214

Poultry

Poultry by-product meal can be used in poultry diets at up to 7 to 10% without impairing bird performance. However, diets containing poultry by-product meal should be formulated to take into account the fact that the digestibilities of amino acids are lower than those of soybean meal (Bandegan et al., 2010)

When introduced at up to 4% in balanced broiler diets, performance was unchanged (Kirkpinar et al., 2004). In previous experiments, the same results were observed when including poultry by-products up to 10% in broiler diets (Mendonca et al., 1989; Escalona et al., 1987). In laying hen diets, poultry by-products have no detrimental effects on performance and egg quality up to an incorporation level of between 5% (Senkoylu et al., 2005) and 7.5% (Hosseinzadeh et al., 2010).

Poultry by-products can be extruded with cereal grains, yielding an ingredient with a higher protein value than that of meat and bone meal (Aimiuwu et al., 2006).
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Trout pellets are relatively easy to find in Ontario, many feed stores have a few bags in stock or can get them.

I believe 5 Span Feed in Pakenham also sells a 40%plus protein supplement to be mixed into other feed. I have never checked personally just been told.

I use Purina Gamebird to up my protein or a bit of high quality, grain-free dog food.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Health”