Higher protein feed for molt ?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Higher protein feed for molt ?

Post by ross » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:09 pm

In your meat dog food Robbie what critter is used , what parts , can you feed strictly horse for example or pig or mixed & what control is used on medication withdrawal . Just curious last meat I fed to my hounds was leftover from human beef/pork & tripe when it was allowed from local butcher shop . Found back then real inexpensive to feed .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:12 pm

ross wrote:In your meat dog food Robbie what critter is used , what parts , can you feed strictly horse for example or pig or mixed & what control is used on medication withdrawal . Just curious last meat I fed to my hounds was leftover from human beef/pork & tripe when it was allowed from local butcher shop . Found back then real inexpensive to feed .
It's beef. The chickens are never fed poultry meat.
All the raw food I get is sourced from human grade sources. I do not nor will I ever feed horse meat.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks just wondered .Basically what I used to feed my kennel cept packaged . Luck
Last edited by ross on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

goodfellow
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by goodfellow » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:13 pm

I do not add extra protein to my feed at any time.I feed chicks , chick starter moving up to grower as they mature.My breeders get an 18 % layer ration. This fall the breeders all went on a scratch feed for 3 months, after they finished there moult many started to lay ,while on only scratch.As I move them into breeder pens I switch back to layer.I have found that if you feed the breeders, layer throughout the fall, they will continue to lay.The decrease in protein after the breeding season, usually stops egg production, and the birds moult out better without the added stress of laying.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:24 pm

goodfellow wrote:I do not add extra protein to my feed at any time.I feed chicks , chick starter moving up to grower as they mature.My breeders get an 18 % layer ration. This fall the breeders all went on a scratch feed for 3 months, after they finished there moult many started to lay ,while on only scratch.As I move them into breeder pens I switch back to layer.I have found that if you feed the breeders, layer throughout the fall, they will continue to lay.The decrease in protein after the breeding season, usually stops egg production, and the birds moult out better without the added stress of laying.

What breed(s) do you have?

goodfellow
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by goodfellow » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:57 pm

goodfellow wrote:I do not add extra protein to my feed at any time.I feed chicks , chick starter moving up to grower as they mature.My breeders get an 18 % layer ration. This fall the breeders all went on a scratch feed for 3 months, after they finished there moult many started to lay ,while on only scratch.As I move them into breeder pens I switch back to layer.I have found that if you feed the breeders, layer throughout the fall, they will continue to lay.The decrease in protein after the breeding season, usually stops egg production, and the birds moult out better without the added stress of laying.
[/quote]

What breed(s) do you have

A partial list at bakerandgoodfellow.webs.com

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for contributing Frank, would the lower protein in scratch work as partial forced molt?
I am not sure what is going on here, but it seems that molt started sometime in October and there are still some stragglers just finishing now.
Not sure I would have the courage to put everybody on scratch only.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:16 am

Well, everybody is starting to look much better now, whether it's due to the high protein salad dressing, or the fact that once I made that effort I stopped looking so hard at them, most are back to full feather and couple are almost there.
Now of course comes a time I will be trimming fluffy Wyandotte butts for breeding season, I might be wondering why I tried so hard ? ;)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am

Just a post script, everybody looks great by now, end of March hard to say if my efforts made any difference but made me feel better and yes it's time to trim the fuzzy butts. ;)

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:01 pm

Everyone looks better when it's spring!

Return to “Health”