Cat food as protein source

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Chick-a-roo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Cat food as protein source

Post by Chick-a-roo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:02 pm

What kind of cat kibble do you use? I purchased a bag today finally - it's a salmon no-grain diet. When I offered it to the chickens, every one of them turned their beaks up at it! They acted as though I was offering them rabbit turds (which the kibble does look like, but still...)
I even shook it in my hands like their treats. A couple of them took a closer look at it, one girl pecked at one kibble a bit but promptly dropped it.
I think I may have offended them!!!!
:rooster66: BOCK! BOCK! BOCK!

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Cat food as protein source

Post by Robbie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 pm

I couldn't get my chickens to eat kibble either- got it free from the pet store. I was hoping they would like it, now I'm stuck with the stuff maybe the crows will eat it.
They do go crazy over bone sawdust, the meat/bone bits like sawdust that gets left behind at the butcher's when they cut meat. You might be able to get it free or very cheap from a butcher shop.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:30 pm

I bought a huge bag from TSC and my chickens wouldn't touch it
I tried soaking it in warm water and giving it to them when it is softened up and they go nuts over it?!?!?
Go figure
Only trouble with last few days is it freezes to the ground quicker than they can eat it :chicken peck: :chicken peck: :chicken peck:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:10 am

I use Walmart brand :/ and like Colleen, I soak it in a little hot water first. It releases the 'smell' of it ( hot wet kibble stinks *gags* but chickens think it's manna) Makes a fine addition to morning porridge if you still have a few that are reluctant lol. Once they get the squishy rotten meat taste of it, they go bananas for it and you won't have to soak it anymore if you don't want to, except for smaller birds.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:01 am

I use presidents choice, salmon with no soy or wheat. Some love it some don't.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 am

country cat from the feed store. the pellets are flat and circular, and it only took one chicken going nuts for the rest to :castaway: LOL
could be they don't need the extra protein at the moment....
i have a bucket of food out in the barn for the barn cats, and the chickens will fight the cats off for the bucket...or share the bucket with the cats....maybe just leave some out and they'll finally try it??
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 am

I now use BOSS to up the protein for the birds. all natural no hidden ingredients or side effects. a little expensive but i do think a little goes a long way. its around %16 protein and of course has many other benefits. http://www.feedipedia.org/node/40 I also feed whole corn not for the protein but for the energy it provides. I mixed up a big batch of feed yesterday as follows. 2 scoops of laymash, 1 scoop of whole corn, 1/2 scoop BOSS. The mix looks incredible. its the first time any of my birds ever had BOSS but they seem to be enjoying it quite well. I also like to feed turkey finisher pellets, and add it into the mix but not this time.

Heres a page with chemical analysis of many dry cat foods... http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:26 am

Oh good I'll try soaking it then.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Did I not see on PSO this discussion with the warning that the protein source in the cat food had to be animal base (i.e. Not fish or poultry ).....or was it the other way around? Total brain bump. I didn't really note it as around here the cats and dogs eat quick and all before the barn gang descends. I must have the least picky bunch in the world. Sure wouldn't want to fall down in front of that feathered mob LOL

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:50 pm

protein in cat food is usually animal based, because they are obligate carnivores. a cat cannot exist and be healthy on a vegan diet. But that protein base is usually so processed in commercial cat foods that the risk of transmitting anything to your birds from it is pretty impossible. well, maybe i should say improbable...because who knows with some of the foods manufactured abroad anymore....
there was a news story just the other day i stumbled across where a person took their ailing cat to the vet, it was losing weight and malnourished because the owner was feeding it a vegetarian diet. definitely NOT good for an obligate carnivore. Dogs are omnivores and can survive just fine on a veggie diet....but cats can't.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”