A L E R T ! OMAFRA AI Advisory (2017 Mar 8)

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

OMAFRA AI Advisory (2017 Mar 8)

Post by modern17 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

Please see the Poultry Small Flock advisory put out by OMAFRA .

TL
Attachments
AI Small Flock Advisory 2017 March 08.pdf
(161.2 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

kenya
Henny Penny

OMAFRA Advisory March 8,2017

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Darn it I can't open this file.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 pm

How about this file, Kenya? I just copy/pasted the DPF file into MS Word.
copy of OMAFRA Advisory PDF.docx
(15.79 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm using my cell, if I had my computer I' m sure that would probably work, but I always use my cell.

madison174
On the Roost

Post by madison174 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Ugh. Again. I guess this will become the new normal?

Syble
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Syble » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Ministry of Agriculture, Food
and Rural Affairs
Ministère de l’Agriculture, de
l’Alimentation et des Affaires
rurales
5th Floor
1 Stone Road West
Guelph, Ontario N1G 4Y2
Tel: (519) 824 4120 Ext 54650
Fax: (519) 763 2253
5 étage
1, Rue Stone ouest
Guelph (Ontario) N1G 4Y2
Tél.: (519) 824 4120
Téléc.: (519) 763 2253
Animal Health and Welfare Branch
Agriculture Development Branch
Avian Influenza Advisory for Small Flock Owners and Bird Fanciers
On March 5, 2017, the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant
Health Inspection Service confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI)
in a broiler breeder flock in Tennessee. This flock of 73,500 is located within the Mississippi
flyway – the same flyway that extends into northwestern and southwestern Ontario. On March 6,
USDA reported a low pathogenic avian influenza infected commercial turkey flock of 84,000 in
Wisconsin. Considering the current avian influenza cases in the US there is a risk of reemergence
of HPAI in Ontario.
Avian influenza (AI) can infect domesticated and wild birds, including chickens, turkeys,
pheasants, quails, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl. A highly pathogenic virus, as opposed to a low
pathogenic virus, can causes severe illness and death in domestic birds. Birds become infected
when they have direct contact with the secretions or feces of infected birds or with contaminated
surfaces or infected food and water supplies.
People who raise small flocks or game birds for personal or limited commercial purposes should
be aware of the risk to their birds from diseases such as avian influenza. During an avian
influenza outbreak, attending poultry events can increase the risk of spreading diseases. Diseases
are most often transmitted from one infected flock to another flock by infected birds, people or
equipment. Moving infected birds can result in transferring AI virus to a new location. If infected
birds are moved through an auction or “swap meet”, then the AI virus can be transferred to
multiple new locations. Birds that appear to be healthy can be infected and can transmit AI to
other birds before exhibiting any signs of disease themselves.
Birds with outdoor access should not share areas with wild ducks, geese or shorebirds. Make
sure free-range areas do not have attractions for wild waterfowl, such as a pond or open feeders,
which may become contaminated with wild waterfowl droppings.
2 of 2
Be very diligent in observing your birds. Monitor mortalities and track feed and water
consumption. Early detection is critical. Watch for any signs of disease, such as depression,
decreased feed consumption, drop in egg production, swollen wattles, sneezing, gasping, a
discharge from the nose or eyes, diarrhea or sudden death.
Should you suspect any signs of health concerns in your flock, contact your veterinarian.
Prevention is the key. Take the following steps:
  • Avoid attending shows, sales and swap meets during a disease outbreak.
  • Do not allow people who have recently been in contact with other birds (e.g., their own
    or attending a bird sale or show) near your birds.
  • Do not share equipment with other bird owners.
  • If you add new birds to your flock, at any time, get their complete background
    information, including a history of any diseases and vaccinations, and keep the vendor’s
    contact information in the event that your birds become sick, so that they can be traced to
    their flock of origin.
  • Keep new birds or those returning from shows separate and preferably in a different
    airspace (quarantined) for at least 2-4 weeks after returning home. Monitor them for signs
    of illness. Clean and disinfect the cages and equipment used for these birds. Use separate
    clothing, footwear and equipment for quarantined birds. Handle these birds last. If the
    same equipment and clothing must be used, clean and disinfect them before and after
    handling the birds. Wash your hands between the two groups.
Additional information is available at:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/liv ... 12-039.htm
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/liv ... flock.html
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... 5-02a2.htm
http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrest ... 3644740109

Return to “Health”