Finished Alert: ILT Lanark County (2017 Feb 24)

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Finished Alert: ILT Lanark County (2017 Feb 24)

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

ILT Lanark County

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 pm

:( Going to be hard to clean up with this wet weather I think.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

ILT Lanark County

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Oh boy, if it's not one thing it's another.
Bit too close to home for comfort.

JimW
Head Chicken

ILT Lanark County

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Yep bad time of year. The up and down temperatures are enough stress on the birds as it is, let alone a nasty virus out there. Time to look into vaccinating. And no birds in or out for me until at least April.

Jim
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

ILT Lanark County

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:27 am

I hate to say it but I think a lot of the poultry sales contribute to these dieses. If I ever get back into chickens permanently I will not be buying from a sale. From what I have read about ILT now I can say that over the years I have seen really sick birds at sales and I am pretty sure from the symptoms they had ILT, I also saw a hen at a show once doing the wings down, tilted forward gasping for air but I didn't know at the time what was going on. She was part of a display group only but I remember wondering why they brought it. I never ever had a sick chicken until a week after my first purchase from a sale.

Sometimes I wonder about a vaccinated sale like the beef farmers started having vaccinated calves sales in the fall to help prevent the spread of disease in the feedlots. I always tell people starting out that sales are fun but if you already have a nice flock and they are healthy, the best thing they can do is not buy. I am not telling anyone what to do or saying that it's wrong to go to a sale, but if they ask I say they can learn from my mistakes. I hate saying it because so many people put so much time and effort into these sales and it's a way for clubs to get money; however I would hate to have someone starting out lose their flock. Especially since now many see their chickens like their dogs or cats.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

ILT Lanark County

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:07 pm

I agree with you. Never have bought from a sale. I have fleetingly thought of showing some of my birds at the fair.... especially the turkeys, as I have turkeys that are FAR nicer to show than those I have seen. Nothing is more disgusting than a dirty Royal Palm Tom. However, I would have to want to part with him after that... I would NOT want to bring anything back home.

So... I don't, lol. I really wonder about walking thru that poultry barn as well. Can be scary. You can get in to enough trouble at home, letting your birds free range. With me, its loads of pigeons. AND Canada Geese land beside the barn in our cow pasture, AND corn/hay fields.

Huge pond next door.

Return to “Health”