Frustrated with frostbite

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Chick-a-roo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Frustrated with frostbite

Post by Chick-a-roo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:38 am

Knowing that plummeting temperatures were imminent last night, I did a complete coop clean-out prior to them settling in for the night. There were no poops, no moist shavings in the nest boxes, no frozen moist clumps in their sand bedding. Droppings board was completely cleaned off. Ventilation in the coop is excellent - I have only 15 standard birds in a 640 sq ft coop, with one floor vent, soffet vents all around plus three roof vents. Yet my Buddy cock STILL ended up with frozen tips on his comb, just from this ONE night. He has a large Welsummer comb - so I think as beautiful as I think these large combed breeds are, I just can't over-winter them outside in their coops. His father, Widget, lost all his points last winter too. And if I can't over-winter them outside, it's best that I just don't have them anymore. My small combed females and rose/pea combs all fared just fine last night. Even Widget's stumps are fine - it's the high triangled points I think just don't have enough protection or vascularization in such cold temperatures.
Once these two boys are gone, I will be switching to low combed breeds.
:rooster66: BOCK! BOCK! BOCK!

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Frustrated with frostbite

Post by Robbie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am

That's why I have pea combed breeds- although I love the look of the Mediterranean breeds I think they are best suited for warmer climates. How about dubbing? When I get Anconas, I'm going to have my vet dub the comb and wattles (local anesthetic should do it, he does farm calls!) They will look strange but at least they won't suffer from frostbite. I know my ventilation is an issue, |(old barn) but there's only so much you can do with 150 year old technology. It was -2 celsius in the barn coop this morning, not too bad, the stone foundation does keep the heat somewhat.
I know it's controversial, but what if you provided heat ( a safe source) at night for those really cold nights? I used to hang an an infrared lamp (maybe not so safe!) above the roost when I had the Frey's hens and roosters, and had no trouble with frostbite.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Sounds to me Chickaroo that that breed as u say in your situation is not condusive to Canadian winters . One of the main reasons the Chantecler was developed for our eastern winters . As said not the cold but the humidity here in the east . Luck .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm

i have had welsummers and leghorns with monster combs and wattles for the last 5 years at least, and only 1 of my males got frostbite and that was last winter on one of the wattles he kept putting in his water dish....maybe your boy is just more susceptible?
did you try coating the comb with vaseline? that should also stop them from freezing....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Pretty frustrating to see the damage, even after you have taken as many precautions as possible.
Out first "standard" breeds were Barred Rocks and Delawares, and we would have probably stayed with them if it wasn't for the combs.
Once the decision was made, that we couldn't keep single comb breeds it narrowed the breed choices considerably.
Even now after so many years with Wyandottes, I made a mistake of giving heated water bowl the the cockerels and on first cold day couple froze tips of their wattles, so cockerels are back to regular water dish changed couple times a day, better frozen over with a small hole pecked out, then a full dip in a deep water dish.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:37 pm

The outdoors humidity is still pretty high- weatherman said 55% RH yesterday, so not much you can do to reduce that except by heating the coop.

Chick-a-roo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chick-a-roo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Vaseline was the only thing I did not do for prevention. My coop doesn't have a foundation - the thermometer inside reads pretty much the same temps as outside, except without windchill.
Robbie - I thought local anaesthetics are lethal to chickens? The thought of dubbing really turns my stomach... But so does blackened tissue.

Chick-a-roo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Chick-a-roo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:52 pm

ross wrote:Sounds to me Chickaroo that that breed as u say in your situation is not condusive to Canadian winters . One of the main reasons the Chantecler was developed for our eastern winters . As said not the cold but the humidity here in the east . Luck .

The partridge chantecler has had my interest peaked as a possible contender. I wanted to get some basic poultry keeping skills and knowledge under my belt before venturing into the pure-breeds. It may happen sooner than later....

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:50 pm

Chick-a-roo wrote:Vaseline was the only thing I did not do for prevention. My coop doesn't have a foundation - the thermometer inside reads pretty much the same temps as outside, except without windchill.
Robbie - I thought local anaesthetics are lethal to chickens? The thought of dubbing really turns my stomach... But so does blackened tissue.
I'll have to ask him about that, I don't know what's available to vets these days. I figured he'd have access to something that works. If not, then Houston, I have a problem!

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:05 am

That is why the only breed with a single comb and not a rose, strawberry, Pea combs are our D'Uccles which have suffered frostbite in past years but it depends on the year. Some years they are more prone to it than others. We did find that on the cold damp nights like last night that a light coating fo vasiline on the comb did help. You can't remove the humidity that is naturally in the air which tends to be my issue as I live beside a creek which will be adding moisture to the air. We don't heat any coop but if required will bring a bird in the house to thaw out if required.Bbut mornings with a house full of roosters can be a little noisy.

Return to “Health”