Comb question

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Comb question

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm

image.jpg
Okay...its rarely even been below zero here this winter..i think maybe -6 was the coldest so far at night...im discounting frostbite, especially in the coop as its well built, ventilated properly etc etc....but could you folks look closely at Earl's comb and make a suggestion as to what might be happening....its like the fleshy part of his comb has melted away to a core bit..all black...and yes, he's attacking my drill...lol...hes a feisty lad...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SandyM

Re: Comb question

Post by SandyM » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:49 pm

My guy got this previously on his wattles. I just added some vitamins to the water and he's all better. Took a few days and he was all back to red with the dots disappearing. Can be a scab/healing I think .. Or maybe evena nutrient thing. Not sure but it worked over here

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:57 pm

looks like he caught it on something and cut it....if he's not an "only rooster" he probably had a sparring with another bird, or tried to stick his head through a fence....something silly. he will probably lose the point that is going dark if it's black. nothing really to worry about unless he's a show bird....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Looks like he's hurt it in some way, perhaps fighting with the drill, LOL. Put some polysporin on it.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Ok...i didnt think it was the cold...its just not been cold enough...i just didnt know if it was a disease issue that i wasnt aware of and you folks have been at this far longer than I...thank you...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:44 pm

More importantly ... Send me some snow pretty please?

Return to “Health”