Here I go again

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Here I go again

Post by SandyM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:25 pm

fuck fuck fuck
I had a week of no drama but now I'm back to an issue.

I saw my barred rock rooster over the last few days move his head & neck in an s-shape type movement. BYC has me wanting to burn the friggin coops down.
Tomorrow he's going to be captured and examined. What should I look for? Suggestions? Possible reason? And if you're going to tell me northern something mites ..don't. Coop and chickens will be gone.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Here I go again

Post by Robbie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Sorry I can't picture exactly what he's doing. Is he "stargazing" where his neck is bent back and he is looking upwards? Is he gulping where it looks like he's having difficulty swallowing something? Is he walking abnormally too?
Posting a youtube video is the best to get the right answer.
If you catch him, feel his crop, see if it seems abnormally large or squishy.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:41 pm

It's more like a slow head shake with a S shape to the movement. He walks and runs fine. Eats like a champ and is still busy being the Roo of the yard.
Not trying to swallowing ... That I know of. I've only seen him do it 3 times and it's after he crows.

Ugh! I hate catching roosters. They aren't easy to work with on your own.
Last edited by SandyM on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:42 pm

I've read everything from something lodged in his throat, a cold, mites, ear infection, brain damage. Like wth!

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:57 pm

If he only does it after he crows, it doesn't sound immediately serious. Any other symptoms? If not maybe its just the way your rooster is.
LOL you'd like my Buckeye rooster, I can just pick him up and he sits quietly in my arms. Nice boy that one.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:02 pm

You didn't buy a house on a ancient chicken burial ground, did you? ; )
I would listen to his breathing for congestion. Might have some mucus he's trying to dislodge. If so give him the spiciest thing in your kitchen... that should get things flowing.
Then again, maybe a long piece of grass or straw that's not going down the right way??

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:07 pm

OK. Tomorrow he gets turmeric, rubbed oregano and garlic and a physical examination ... Cause I know what I'm doing?? some days I wonder what the heck I was thinking getting chickens

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:You didn't buy a house on a ancient chicken burial ground, did you? ; )
I would listen to his breathing for congestion. Might have some mucus he's trying to dislodge. If so give him the spiciest thing in your kitchen... that should get things flowing.
Then again, maybe a long piece of grass or straw that's not going down the right way??
He has never crowed like a normal rooster ... But I'll get an up close listen tomorrow to his breathing. Oh boy. He won't be happy.

You know ..this place was not treated right. 4 years later and I'm still finding garbage .. The soil just pushed some garbage out of the ground I found the other day. A pop or beer can that is 50% gone and some febreeze container ..like a tiny bottle of febreeze and some other unidentifiable objects.
When we dug some of the ground up for a foundation for the garage....we found bones. Maybe a pet? Oops. Sorry :rip:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:14 pm

Robbie wrote:If he only does it after he crows, it doesn't sound immediately serious. Any other symptoms? If not maybe its just the way your rooster is.
LOL you'd like my Buckeye rooster, I can just pick him up and he sits quietly in my arms. Nice boy that one.
This one isn't nearly as bad as my (dead and eaten) terrorist, but he's still a big feisty boy. My silkies rooster is a breeze!!

madison174
On the Roost

Post by madison174 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:10 pm

Sandy, I"m finding the rapid change in temperature has affected my guys too. I've put them all on a rotating schedule of vitamins and supplements in their water just to help out for a bit. Vitamins can't hurt! Keep us posted!

Return to “Health”