Isolation time

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Isolation time

Post by Happy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 pm

She's a pretty girl and looks right at home!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Isolation time

Post by KimChick » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST She's a pretty girl and looks right at home!
LOL! Her colouring coordinates with the kitchen!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Isolation time

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Good for you and her. Just a note here about how I have treated little crack type sores like in the pic (Not what it was, but what it looks like in the pic). Crazy glue makes a wonderful scab to heal one like that. Seals, holds in place etc.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Isolation time

Post by KimChick » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Thought I'd give an update on our "house hen".
She is much better and was introduced back to the flock around January 15th (maybe a couple of days earlier.... should have documented it).
We took her out to the garage and brought in 4 other BSL's, sprinkled out some food, put out a dish of water. They were all fine; the house hen was a bit cautious to get too near the others. They were in the garage for about 3 hrs.
We took out the house hen and another first, then the others.
The only nasty thing we saw happen (I think more than once) was one of the RSL grabbed the house hen by the comb and shook her back and forth. The hen fought back (good girl!). After all that, she was very cautious of the others. Some of the Reds were nasty.
One time, I saw her shivering. Poor thing was starving!! I fed her 3 handfuls of food, keeping the others away. Other times, I let her have her own handful of food on the ground, while keeping others away. Then, when I gave all some squash, I held a large piece for the hen, letting 2 others have a turn. Sounds crazy, but that's what I did.
So... the hen is not high in the pecking order, but she is better blended in now.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Isolation time

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 am

SOmetimes red hens can be very nasty. Glad she's doing OK now.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Isolation time

Post by tcamp » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:54 am

I find reintroducing at night usually works best for me. By morning she is just part of the flock again. The idea of putting a couple of other hens with her in the garage the day before is pretty good too. I know how to crochet chicken diapers :P

Return to “Health”