Poopy rears

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Poopy rears

Post by nekoatsume » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Another day, another problem! I have 4 gold laced Wyandotte girls.. All have large fluffy tears. They are getting poop stuck (and of course freezing) in their downy feathers. Cut it out, right? Should I deworm them? How do I even do that? What product?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Poopy rears

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Oh the fun stuff you 're never told about. I always worm fall and spring. A cat comb is your friend now. Gently tease out the poop from the butt feathers and ty to get them as clean as possible. Such fun!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Poopy rears

Post by nekoatsume » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you - but what do I worm with? For horses, I just walk into the feed mill and pick whatever tube of wormer is on sale - they don't have them for chickens though.

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Poopy rears

Post by nekoatsume » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Thank you - but what do I worm with? For horses, I just walk into the feed mill and pick whatever tube of wormer is on sale - they don't have them for chickens though.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Poopy rears

Post by Jaye » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:28 pm

A lot of people use pour-on Ivermectin topically - part the feathers on the spot on the neck between the shoulders and apply the appropriate dosage directly to the skin, so that it is absorbed through the skin.
4 drops for bantams
6 drops for standard light weight breeds such as Euskal Oiloa
8 drops for large fowl, such as Brahmas or Jersey Giants
This post may be of interest to you:
http://poultrytalkontario.net/forum/vie ... tin#p13334

You can also do a search in the health section of this forum to find info on other worming treatments.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Poopy rears

Post by Happy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:59 pm

I just spent the last hour cleaning up Cochin behinds. Blaaaaagh lol. @Killerbunny you are right! Nobody ever warned me about that glamorous job lol. The first time hubby saw me cleaning up chicken butts he thought I'd gone loopy...Now he points them out to me to make sure I get them ever since I showed him a horrific pic of a chicken with fly strike.

Maximus

Poopy rears

Post by Maximus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:40 pm

When I gave ivermectin previously. I always followed with probiotics and ACV in their waters to replenish the good gut bacteria.

Return to “Health”