Scaly leg mites, continued

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: Scaly leg mites, continued

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:00 pm

PAJenn dont you have another method of treating mites or was that something else... where you introduce another bug into the coop that eats them and then consequently dies once theres nothing left for them to eat? I remember PAJoel doing a write up on PSO about it...
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 pm

This is PAJenn's blog that talks about predatory mites - http://growingagoodlife.com/poultry/str ... -scimitus/
These predatory mites work for red poultry mites but are not cold tolerant, so wrong time of year for them to be effective. I don't know if they work on scaly leg mites.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks Jaye! ya thats some great info right there!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Hoping for some tips on getting the birds follow-up Ivermectin application done by myself. Day 5 after the first dose is tomorrow. Hubby can't help with this application, since he still has to be in the face-down position most all the time until his follow-up appointment with the eye surgeon on Monday. Even if he could be face-up for the time it would take to help, he's still vision-impaired.
I have a head light, and plan to get it done after lights-out, but don't know how I'm going to manage holing and finding skin on the back of their necks and applying the required number of drops to each bird. Any suggestions? I was thinking of asking my neighbour to help, but they have no experience holding a chicken, which could prove problematic.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Get yourself a orange cone from dollar store or hardware store that fits your bird cut end off for head , drill hole other end to hang on nail . Drop bird in , pull head thru by beak & apply on neck .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.03 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks, Ross - that makes sense. I will find me a cone and try that. Don't they freak out though? How do I get them out of the cone once I've finished applying? While we are on the subject of upside-down birds, you mentioned in the chicken pedicure thread to hold them upside down by the feet/legs to trim their nails. This may be a stupid question, but how to you put them back upright afterwards? Do you support their back and flip them?

PAJenn
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PAJenn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Sorry gang, I missed your request for my article on mites. I clearly neglected to click the "follow thread" button.
Prosperity Acres | Growing a Good Life
http://www.prosperityacres.ca

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:44 pm

PAJenn, do you know if these predator mites would would work for scaly leg mites, assuming that the temperature was conducive?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Just grab um by feet , pull them out of cone , push on chest to upright & let go at same time . They'll fly down . When you pick them up by both legs they will flutter & try to lift head up but just gently push down . Like most animals if upside down or on back they relax & settle . I find it easiest on them & yourself . Practice grabbing legs & hold upside down a few times before placing in cones . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks, Ross. Will do!

Return to “Health”