Question Long term management of trichomoniasis (canker)

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
jennbee
Newly Hatched Chick

Long term management of trichomoniasis (canker)

Post by jennbee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately, my free-range flock has canker. They are a pet flock so I don't have the desire to cull.

I've read that recovered birds are carriers. Does this mean that after treatment, they will regularly get lesions or simply pass along the disease to new birds?

I have on hand metronidazole, ronidazole and berimax. The medication has been effective, although my one bird has had lesions several times since the summer and she has lost weight over the last 6 months. I'm wondering if I'll have to continually treat the flock to control the disease and what impact that will have on them (i.e. medication side-effects). The medication is mostly marketed for pigeons and the packages say for prevention to medicate water two days in a row per month. I've also read that acidifying the water (vinegar) will help prevention.

If I am unable to control the canker with my one chicken this current round of treatment, I will likely take her to the vet. However, I would appreciate if anyone has any experience or advice to share and potentially save me some money!

Thanks

Return to “Health”