Question Molting / Moulting

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Moulting

Post by Happy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:10 pm

I bought some just 2 weeks ago. I asked at the feed store and they knew nothing about it possibly being pulled from shelves. But that wouldn't surprise me! If they still have some when I go for shavings tomorrow I'm going to grab another just in case!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Moulting

Post by thegawd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Kenya - my feed mill had a whole shelf of it, I never thought to ask if she would sell it to me. I did pick up a bottle of ivermectin and I asked her if there were any plans to stop selling it without vet approval and she said the stupid gvmt is trying to do that but didnt think it would go through. she said i have the license to carry it and as long as I can buy it, I will sell it. but that sevrin dust is what a pesticide? there may be a license to buy it but it is definitely still available. I'll call her in the morning and ask. shes such a nice lady.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Moulting

Post by thegawd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Ahhh I didnt see Happys last post there, good stuff!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy

Moulting

Post by Happy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:57 pm

I had to sign a farm declaration at that feed mill the first time I bought sevin dust. They keep it on file there. That place told me they know nothing about things like wormer/water soluble antibiotics being pulled from the shelf so who knows! They still have tetracycline, oxy-sol and such for sale.

kenya
Henny Penny

Moulting

Post by kenya » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:25 pm

They told me at the feed stores here I had to have a pesticide licence to buy it. Stupid government! Making it hard for the small breeder.

Happy

Moulting

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:45 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST They told me at the feed stores here I had to have a pesticide licence to buy it. Stupid government! Making it hard for the small breeder.
Kenya what do you use for mites? I'd really prefer to not use Sevin dust if I could help it. So if there's an alternative I'd be happy to try it! I DE'd the crap out of everything for months and couldn't get it under control. I still use DE hoping it's a preventative but I still get mites :(
@thegawd does ivermectin work well? Do you use anything in your bedding?

kenya
Henny Penny

Moulting

Post by kenya » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Ivermectin works the best to prevent and get rid of it but it takes some time the sevin dust works immediately. DE I personally find next to useless , now some people use the revolution they use for fleas and ticks on dogs, that works well. I like the sevin dust to put on roosts and any new birds and in bedding.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Moulting

Post by ross » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Never had issues with live /mites on chickens . I have 24/7 mix of sand & DE in dusting box which they use when in barn .Loose housing
. I use this product from TSC on all my pigeons & any caged chickens I catch .Kills feather mites . Use on bird under wings & bent on nests & on roosts . Never a problem . Luck whatever yu use .
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by ross on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy

Moulting

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Hmm that looks interesting @ross. Permethrin is from a flower isn't it?
My brother owns a landscaping business so he has a pesticide license. He is as natural and non-chemical as possible in his business. Everytime he sees my shaker of Sevin dust I get a lecture about using it. Going to see if my TSC has that spray next time I'm there... I also have some Advantage drops left that were prescribed for my cat and he can no longer use them. Is that similar to Revolution? I don't see any mites right now but history tells me they'll be back!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Moulting

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Bronco contains both Pyrethrins (natural) and Pyrethroids (synthetic). I have used it on my chickens and I have also sprayed it around the outside perimeter of the run during the summer to keep flies down. It needed to be re-applied after several rains, but I found it effective.

This web page describes the different ingredients used in a number of flea and tick control products, including Revolution and Advantage:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 11&aid=598
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Health”