Question Molting / Moulting

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Moulting

Post by ross » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Yep permethrin from the chrysanthemum plus water carrier . Bugs die a NATURAL death . That should make folks happy & food grade DE is natural too . Win /win luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Moulting

Post by thegawd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Well I just got off the phone with my mill, yup a pesticide license is required.... I used to friken have one issued from PIC back in another life when I was a lawn care technician... I quite and ripped up my license becuase spraying all that crap on lawns was against my better judgment and I really really didnt like the company, the job itself was a tonne of fun though.

I wonder how an individual can get the pesticide license now a days.

@happy I have dustbaths that are probably 70/30% DE and wood ash in rubbermaids in all my coops but that is only preventative maintenance. twice a year I administer ivermectin orally to all my birds.

I also treat and quarantine all new birds when I bring them in. I rarely bring in new birds though.

I do have a bottle of sevrin dust and although I rarely use it I will dust nest boxes and broodys with it because well they dont take the best care of them self when sitting.

I use the deep litter method and clean out 90% of it only once a year. I dont treat the bedding at all.

now I've only had 1 infestation a couple years ago, I was a complete newbie and did not do any prevention at all. thanks to the friendly folks on here I was able to get it under control. i cleaned every thing out of that coop and treated every square inch with the sevrin dust and all the birds as well as treating the birds with ivermectin.

I honestly dont handle my birds a lot, but when I do I check them over. a few bugs is completely normal, if there crawling on your hands then theres a problem.

I may do things a bit different than others but what works for one wont necessarily work for another.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Moulting

Post by ross » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Al, Make friends with farmer with a pesticide license & get them to buy it for you . Luck

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Moulting

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:01 pm

You may be able to find Carbaryl powder in the garden section of hardware stores or Crappy Tire lol.

Happy

Moulting

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Ok just got back from my farm supply store. Spoke to the owner and he confirmed that carbaryl is no longer produced anywhere. So when his supplier is out that's it. He hasn't ordered in a couple months so expects they could be out now. I did find the bronco spray there so will give it a shot. I usually find if I can enter winter (freeze temps) mite free then it stays that way until spring. Touch wood!

Happy

Moulting

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:17 pm

@thegawd thanks for your detailed reply. Just trying to pick all of your brains lol. Appreciate everyone's advice on this.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Moulting

Post by thegawd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:54 pm

@Happy no problem at all, im still learning myself with only having poultry for 4 years now. all my knowledge came from all the folks on here. but I am glad to pass it on any chance I get.

Now I used to be a reptile breeder. anytime I had a reptile with mites I treated them, the enclosure and all objects inside with a diluted mixture of Nix, lice shampoo. iv always wondered how it would work on a bird but never tried it. that would be a lot of work though to bath each bird. BUT I bet it would work wonders in the coop applied to whatever with a spray bottle. headlice shampoo does in fact kill mites AND there eggs. one 59ml bottle makes 4 liters of solution, mixed with distilled water. the dry residue left on over is also thought to kill and prevent any further infestation.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Attachments
Skin is dark pink, not like Happy's pic.
Skin is dark pink, not like Happy's pic.
Rooster butt.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 3324 times

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Moulting

Post by ross » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Yep that's a pink butt alright . Put some skin cream on it . Luck

KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:46 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST carbaryl
Carbaryl, a neuro-toxin, is a cholinesterase inhibitor for insects. It is no longer available in Canada; it is, however, available in the U.S.
I have seen it as an ingredient, in small amounts, in a farm animal insect killer at the farm supply & feed store. Can't remember the name of it.

Return to “Health”