Question Molting / Moulting

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok just got back from my farm supply store. Spoke to the owner and he confirmed that carbaryl is no longer produced anywhere. So when his supplier is out that's it. He hasn't ordered in a couple months so expects they could be out now. I did find the bronco spray there so will give it a shot. I usually find if I can enter winter (freeze temps) mite free then it stays that way until spring. Touch wood!
Freezing temps and no mites... Now that is a comforting thought.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST Hmm that looks interesting @ross. Permethrin is from a flower isn't it?
My brother owns a landscaping business so he has a pesticide license. He is as natural and non-chemical as possible in his business. Everytime he sees my shaker of Sevin dust I get a lecture about using it. Going to see if my TSC has that spray next time I'm there... I also have some Advantage drops left that were prescribed for my cat and he can no longer use them. Is that similar to Revolution? I don't see any mites right now but history tells me they'll be back!
Permethrin, I researched, is a synthetic chemical that acts similar to the properties of the chrysanthemum. A new product, called Bug Tek, is supposed to have permethrin. I bought some and used it in my house to see if it works. Husband tried it on his pants for ticks, while hunting. Didn't seem to work, but found out that, in very small print, it says shake well before use.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Moulting

Post by Happy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:03 am

I have one old girl (barred rock) that has a butt that looks like that. She doesn't lose feathers on it but if I part the feathers her skin is always redder than the others. She's the picture of health and gets treated for bugs/worms regularly like the rest do. I've tried gold bonds cream and polsporin at different times and it really hasn't made a difference. It doesn't seem to bother her and she will be 5 next spring so I don't worry too much about it. I would try some cream and so long as there's no bugs and it doesn't seem to be irritating him I wouldn't worry much. Just my experience.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:07 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST I had to sign a farm declaration at that feed mill the first time I bought sevin dust. They keep it on file there. That place told me they know nothing about things like wormer/water soluble antibiotics being pulled from the shelf so who knows! They still have tetracycline, oxy-sol and such for sale.
Yes, if I had bought the dusting powder with the cholinesterase inhibitor, I would have had to sign a farm declaration. I was not comfortable with that at the time, so I bought DE.
But I'm going to have to take further action because I think the mites are spreading.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Yep that's a pink butt alright . Put some skin cream on it . Luck
What kind of cream?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST
I have one old girl (barred rock) that has a butt that looks like that. She doesn't lose feathers on it but if I part the feathers her skin is always redder than the others. She's the picture of health and gets treated for bugs/worms regularly like the rest do. I've tried gold bonds cream and polsporin at different times and it really hasn't made a difference. It doesn't seem to bother her and she will be 5 next spring so I don't worry too much about it. I would try some cream and so long as there's no bugs and it doesn't seem to be irritating him I wouldn't worry much. Just my experience.
Good to know. Thanks.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Molting / Moulting

Post by Happy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 pm

IMG_2541-1224x1632.JPG
So this is the product I purchased that I had to sign the farm declaration for. If I remember correctly all it stated was that I would only use the product for its intended purpose. I do know that I asked at the time what happened with the paper I signed and they said it stayed in their store filed. It's just to cover their behind I believe.

If you have active mites in coop or on chickens the frost won't take care of them. They will stay toasty warm under feathers. Gotta get them gone then I find frost prevents a reinfestation. Until spring anyways. Good luck!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Molting / Moulting

Post by ross » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:16 pm

KimChick wrote:QR_BBPOST
ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Yep that's a pink butt alright . Put some skin cream on it . Luck
What kind of cream?

Light application of Vaseline . udder cream , hand conditioner what ever u have . Doesn't need pic of chicken on it . I always have Bronco on hand if new birds coming in . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Molting / Moulting

Post by Jaye » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:06 pm

I have used polysporin, bag balm, and even Canesten cream to soothe a red behind in the past.
I use Bronco too, ever since Ross recommended it in a thread earlier this year. I've only used it as a preventative so far. TSC sells it, it's easy to apply, and doesn't need a signed farm declaration. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Molting / Moulting

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST IMG_2541-1224x1632.JPG
So this is the product I purchased that I had to sign the farm declaration for. If I remember correctly all it stated was that I would only use the product for its intended purpose. I do know that I asked at the time what happened with the paper I signed and they said it stayed in their store filed. It's just to cover their behind I believe.

If you have active mites in coop or on chickens the frost won't take care of them. They will stay toasty warm under feathers. Gotta get them gone then I find frost prevents a reinfestation. Until spring anyways. Good luck!
That looks like the container I was shown at the feed store, and yes, I would need to sign for it.

Return to “Health”