Question Molting / Moulting

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Molting / Moulting

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:33 pm

That is a very red bum! Could other birds be pecking at it? Skin looks very irritated, and it's unlikely to be sunburn. You could give Penaten or other zinc oxide cream a try...it will soothe the skin and the white colour will deter the others pecking at it

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Molting / Moulting

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:13 pm

That's what my rooster looked like
Found it was hens picking him raw
Those hens are now gone
Rooster is all healed up and he is very thankful. Lol

KimChick
Head Chicken

Molting / Moulting

Post by KimChick » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:17 pm

I think it might be one of the RSL pecking his bum while in the coop at night or very early in the a.m.
It wonder if it is the same one that pecks at the back of my jacket or my butt when I am skooched down. Or if it is the same one that pecks at the outside and inside roof of the coop? Hmm... I will have to be more observant. It's not easy to tell the RSL apart from one another.
I was in town the other day to get some zinc ointment. Instead of spending $20 on ointment and disposable gloves, I spent $10 on a spray zinc ointment. Now I just need husband's help to catch our big rooster and one or two hens to spray them.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Molting / Moulting

Post by kenya » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:12 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST IMG_2541-1224x1632.JPG
So this is the product I purchased that I had to sign the farm declaration for. If I remember correctly all it stated was that I would only use the product for its intended purpose. I do know that I asked at the time what happened with the paper I signed and they said it stayed in their store filed. It's just to cover their behind I believe.

If you have active mites in coop or on chickens the frost won't take care of them. They will stay toasty warm under feathers. Gotta get them gone then I find frost prevents a reinfestation. Until spring anyways. Good luck!
Do they still have any, they told me it was not available anymore unless you have a pesticide licence.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Molting / Moulting

Post by Happy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:51 am

@kenya I just looked at this post and I didn't respond to your last question! So here's the funny thing...two years later and my feed Mill is still selling that product.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Molting / Moulting

Post by kenya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:50 pm

They don't even carry the dusting powder in our area any more.

Return to “Health”