Cecal worms

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Cecal worms

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:48 am

Saw some thin wriggling little worms in a cecal poop yesterday. Disgusting thread like and maybe 1/4 inch long if that. Quite a few of them. I've read that they can be difficult to get rid of. Suggestions on product and treatment?

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Cecal worms

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:27 pm

There may be others, but Safegard (fenbendazole) is the only product that I personally know will kill cecal worms. Since they live in hidden, blind pouches in the intestines, you need something systemic to even begin to touch them.

Happy

Cecal worms

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:10 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST There may be others, but Safegard (fenbendazole) is the only product that I personally know will kill cecal worms. Since they live in hidden, blind pouches in the intestines, you need something systemic to even begin to touch them.
Thanks for the reply. Is that the paste for horses? If so I read a pea size amount for LF. Do you treat twice and if so how many days in between? At least it won't break my heart to toss my one egg I'm getting per day right now lol.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Cecal worms

Post by WLLady » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:26 pm

yeah, the stuff for horses (or sheep). i just put a dab on a small piece of bread and they gobble it down with the bread.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

Cecal worms

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for the tip! Just ran out and grabbed some safegard so that will be their little treat in the morning.

windwalkingwolf

Cecal worms

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:23 pm

A single treatment will take care of them. Cecal worms are generally pretty harmless unless you have turkeys. One good thing about fenbendazole is that there is zero egg withdrawal, at least in the U.S....and the E.U. and they're pretty strict about such things.

Happy

Cecal worms

Post by Happy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:45 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST A single treatment will take care of them. Cecal worms are generally pretty harmless unless you have turkeys. One good thing about fenbendazole is that there is zero egg withdrawal, at least in the U.S....and the E.U. and they're pretty strict about such things.
Thanks for the info! I will save my one egg a day then lol

windwalkingwolf

Cecal worms

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Scratch that, that was old information. Under the U.S. FDA's new, stricter guidelines, recommended egg withdrawal time for safeguard is now 17 days. Sorry about that. If you don't want to eat the eggs, you can always scramble them and feed them back to your chickens. They will love you for it LOL

Happy

Cecal worms

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:41 am

I think I'll just risk it and be worm free ;)
Thx again

Return to “Health”