Question Zyfend A: supposedly natural worm control. Anyone tried this?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Zyfend A: supposedly natural worm control. Anyone tried this?

Post by Jaye » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:02 pm

I came across this product - "backyard chicken health pack" - while I was putting together a list of stuff to pick up on my upcoming trip to Ogdensburg. It contains three products, one of which is Zyfend A. It's purported to have had success in commercial hatcheries and layer operations, including organic and natural producers. I haven't been able to find any research papers on it yet, though, just manufacturer safety data sheets and a few anecdotal testimonials. Here's some links with information about the contents of the "backyard chicken health pack" ...
http://www.dbcagproducts.com/backyard-c ... alth-pack/
http://www.dbcagproducts.com/wp-content ... labels.pdf
http://www.dbcagproducts.com/wp-content ... ert-v2.pdf
http://www.dbcagproducts.com/wp-content ... ds-dbc.pdf
http://www.dbcagproducts.com/wp-content ... ds-dbc.pdf
http://www.dbcagproducts.com/wp-content ... 292015.pdf

It sounds interesting, but I am a bit reluctant to spend $40 US until I'm more convinced that it will do what it's supposed to do.
Has anyone tried this, and if so, how would you rate it for effectiveness?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Interesting products, sorry no experience with the product. Looking at the ingredients in contains several essential oil that are suppose to help rid body of worms, so in theory it might help with a low worm load or help prevent. If a bird has a heavy worm load it might help remove some but I doubt it would get rid of them all.

That reminds me I need to order/pick up a few things in Ogdensburg.

Best of luck.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks for the feedback, Jim. I agree with you about it being more of a preventative or treatment for cases of mild parasite overload, but not likely very effective in cases of major infestation.
I am still considering giving it a try as a pre-winter preventative.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:52 am

I find that by using natural DE regular once a month where you can't with chemical control I never have major worm infestations unless I bring in new birds which is very seldom done . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 pm

I was looking for a list of ingredients on Zyfend A, and came across several seller's websites. On them, it does not claim to control parasites at all, but rather to improve nutrient digestion so as to offset parasite's effects. Although some further digging shows some research on Yucca and broiler chickens in relation to coccidia, I can't find any research on any of the ingredients and worms in chickens, only ruminants, so I guess it's up to you if you want to give it a try or not, and if you do, be sure and let us know how it works!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:37 pm

P.S., Fennel oil can produce tumours in animals, and some of those other things can be quite toxic. I'm going to stop reading now o.0

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:08 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST I find that by using natural DE regular once a month where you can't with chemical control I never have major worm infestations unless I bring in new birds which is very seldom done . Luck
I do mix a cup of DE in with the sand in their dust bath containers regularly, and also put a little under the nesting material in the nest boxes whenever I clean them out. It's a good preventative, and my feed store carries it, so I'll be sticking with it for now.
windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST I was looking for a list of ingredients on Zyfend A, and came across several seller's websites. On them, it does not claim to control parasites at all, but rather to improve nutrient digestion so as to offset parasite's effects. Although some further digging shows some research on Yucca and broiler chickens in relation to coccidia, I can't find any research on any of the ingredients and worms in chickens, only ruminants, so I guess it's up to you if you want to give it a try or not, and if you do, be sure and let us know how it works!
Hmmm, I'm thinking that it's not really worth the $$$ to try it out after all. As you pointed out, there does not appear to be a lot of research on its use. Not that I was able to find anyway.I'm a bit leery of trying it without some sort of research to back up its efficacy and safety for use with poultry. It's a moot point at the moment anyway: When I dug out my passport last night, I found out it was expired, :doh: so won't be making any trips to the US for supplies until I get it renewed anyway.

Return to “Health”