Bumble foot core

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Bumble foot core

Post by kenya » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Uhgg that must have been sore, bet she's glad she has you to look after her.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Bumble foot core

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:23 pm

My Giants are pretty heavy, yes, but the main problem here seems to be prickly ash...they step on the thorns =-O and sometimes dead dry thorns get stuck in there. The freezer camp roosters that don't get outside and have very low roosts, don't get bumbles, but hereditary weakness of some sort may still come into play, I don't know. Maybe some sort of reduced resistance to staph?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Bumble foot core

Post by WLLady » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 am

so with my birds they are on shavings and i find that jumping down from the roosts they tend to drive the shavings into their feet.....lowering the roost just meant they tried to sleep in the rafters, and switching to straw is nasty because the mites hide in the straw and just makes cleaning a nightmare. the birds in the loft are better since they aren't outside in the crap our lawn seems to spit out every year. the rangers outside were awful, they would find all kinds of crap-lately it was broken glass from somewhere-i swear the stuff just comes up out of the ground, the last owners buried a lot of junk apparently. we can't dig a hole without finding bits of car, truck, garbage, glass, metal, nails etc etc. every spring there's more stuff in the paddocks coming up.....it really is frustrating.
but the chickens scratch around and get these things in their feet, or scratch the pads....and while most are pretty good the ones that get bumblefoot get it fast and bad....sigh.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Bumble foot core

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:34 am

Sound like its a combination of things.
We "mined" garbage on this place for years, never could wrap my head around the out of sight out of mind garbage disposal system.
The chicken runs are now what used to be horse paddocks, so it has been cleaned up with a fine tooth comb, and of course the horses found what we missed.
But I still find stuff around, couple years ago somebody's baler didn't work very well, and I am still picking up 3" pcs of blue baling twine, probably will forever.
I do use straw for bedding (don't seem to have mite problems)
So the landing must be softer, although the base is wood shavings, and that seems to come in all sorts of different quality.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Bumble foot core

Post by ross » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 am

My bedding is dirt/sand & some shavings . Free range /loose when no snow & my barn is a pole barn dirt/sand floor . They love to sand bath in it all year . Sometimes you can only see top of heads . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Bumble foot core

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Also occurred to me that we have never had a solid floor in a chicken coop or barn, always pea stone or dirt like ross, that might make a difference too.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Bumble foot core

Post by KimChick » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 am

Yes, that looks like a very large kernel. We had a kernel pop out only once from one hen's foot, when squeezed. And once from a hen's toe. All others were too mushy and just had to be treated with iodine rinse, antiseptic spray, and bandaged with polysporin.

Return to “Health”