Question Eprinex - has anyone used it for poultry worms and lice?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Eprinex - has anyone used it for poultry worms and lice?

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Has anyone used Eprinex for their poultry? Just wondering, because it's been suggested to me that I switch anti-parasitic treatments from time to time so that anything I use remains effective. I am out of Ivermectin, and I would like to dose the girls before winter, because two of them seem to have ongoing diarrhea ATM, so I'm thinking maybe a parasite overload.They are healthy and active otherwise.
I also have both Carbaryl powder and Bronco spray, and could treat them for external parasites, if necessary, before winter, but I'm thinking that maybe the weather is too cool and damp to apply a liquid (Bronco) at this time of year.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:31 pm

I've used Bronco on pigeons all months of year . A light spray under wings & around vent seems to do job . As far as other things you mentioned I've no idea never have used them . I do use DE on feed for internal parisites & have forever . Only internal wormer I use . Works for me . People ask how I know it works , do I take stool samples ? No but all my birds are in great shape with no problems . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks, Ross. I'll give them all a little Bronco spray on the weekend then.I actually prefer Bronco to Carbaryl - too dusty, even when you use a nylon knee sock to apply. I worry about them breathing it into their lungs.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:58 pm

I have heard .12 ml eprinex for adult bird for chickens. Never used it myself tho.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Welcome ...
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks, WLLady. Still on the fence about whether to buy more Ivermectin or Eprinex. I know from experience that Ivermectin works, but I also understand that using the same medicine exclusively can in theory encourage bugs to develop a resistance to it over time.
decisions, decisions.

LongCrow
On the Roost

Post by LongCrow » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:33 am

I have not used it so have no direct opinion but found this extended discussion on the other Canadian poultry forum. Hope this helps your decission.

http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting ... p?id=47635

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks, Longcrow. An interesting read. The thing I like about Eprinex is the supposed zero withdrawal time. The thing that still has me sitting on the fence is that some people claim that it may not be effective against mites. I don't have a mite problem at the moment, but would like to have something on hand that is an effective broad spectrum anti-parasitic treatment, just in case. Ivermectin may have a withdrawal time, but it gets rid of most creep crawlies, mites included.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 pm

so eprinomectin is related to ivermectin....and is supposed to be effective for mites....but not lice. like i said before i haven't any experience using it myself, but i just did a cost comparison of it from my local feed store and ivermectin (pour on ivomec) is about 2/3 the price of eprinomectin (at least down here it is, no clue about your source)....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Thanks WLLady - Yes, you're right. It's quite a bit more expensive: 250ml Eprinex pour-on for $39.99 US versus $18.99 US for 250ml of Ivermectin pour-on.
And since Eprinex is no good for lice, it's a no-brainer ... going with Ivermectin again.

Return to “Health”