Meet Boris

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Flat Rock Farm

Meet Boris

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:29 pm

So sorry, such a nice looking rooster. :sad:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Meet Boris

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks all. I'm sad, but also glad he's not in pain anymore. It was jumping down from the roost that did it, he always used the top of the ladder roost and kamikazed down instead of taking the stairs lol. He escaped the axe as a teenager, because Richard fell in love with how fluffy he was. He had a good rooster life eating bugs and making babies, and I was never particularly attached to him...but at the end he tried to offer me a piece of grass, and I lost it a little :/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Meet Boris

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:06 pm

It's OK to lose it a bit.
:hug:
The day I don't care is the day I give the birds up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Meet Boris

Post by kenya » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:14 pm

So sorry for your loss, poor little guy.

redninja
On the Roost

Meet Boris

Post by redninja » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:47 pm

So sorry to hear, WWW.
Don't let anyone tell you who you can or can't be.
Breeding Isbar, Ameracauna, BBS Muscovy, Goat

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Meet Boris

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 am

Boris (RIP) is now a grand sire of three barred hens and one rooster that I kept from last fall, and great grand sire of VERY many barred chicks. Barred chicks are even coming out of seemingly black parents--his black daughters that I kept, mated with black Orpington rooster, are also throwing the odd barred youngster. Don't ever let anyone tell you it can't be done.
The hens and pullets from him are all amazing layers and great broodies (or I wouldn't hatch their eggs), and I wanted more barred chickens... be careful what you wish for roflmbo almost half of ALL chicks hatched this year, have a white head dot! Almost all male though roflmbo . I've got barred in black, blue, and whatever that colour is called that is like washed out crele...where the black is blue and the red is buff. I've got two of those. From black parents. I love it! Fist pump to Boris, and to his mother, Big Bertha windwalkingwolf @ Big Bertha

I wanted more mottled, too, but didn't separate breeders...but again, I'm swimming in those this year too. :wee:
I want some silver spangled from Jan the rooster. So far, I'm getting some silver partridge pattern chicks that will probably be very pretty, but maybe I need to wish harder with this guy...it seemed to work with Boris, and with Speck roflmbo And while I'm wishing, I need more of those mottled chicks that hatch white with a black head dot. I've got a boy or 4 either hatched here or lined up with Farrier, but I need some girls. :hands: And maybe some more of those lovely girls that have only a single or double black bar across
white feathers...those were also partly Boris' handiwork. :hands:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 am

Very sad. Hang in there.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:57 am

Lovely story...sad outcome...glad Boris had a good life tho.... :beer2:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Health”