LED lighting: does it work for chickens

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

LED lighting: does it work for chickens

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:03 am

Gidday and Happy Xmas: just setting up lights in the barn. Do LED's work on chickens?

Flourescents: full spectrum lights (used for plants) are best, but if broken (including compact flourescents) its a disaster of poison mercury

Regular incandescents lights are ok but consume power. "Heavy duty" are often covered with teflon, which is poison to birds. One type of heavy duty bulbs from Princess Auto use heavy glass and are not teflon coated.

Poultry can be made to lay eggs with 14 hours of light. i use a timer to add morning light so they roost at sundown.

so do I try LED's?
Please add any articles you may know of.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: LED lighting: does it work for chickens

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:07 am

I converted all the lights in the house and outside to LED a while ago. reduced my electric bill by about $50 per month. Seems to work fine for the chickens. It is brighter/harsher than incandescent and florescent and takes a little while to get used to, but I have not noticed any negative effects.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:50 am

the globe rough incandescent bulbs are teflon free... perfect for brooders and incubators. leds should work perfect as they have grow lights now that are led. I dont trust leds though or the gvmt trying so hard to force us to use them... spy bulbs.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:57 am

roflmbo Haha Al... Santa bringing you a new Tinfoil hat for Xmas ? Good one bud....
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:06 am

yes, LEDs work just fine. the only reason i really like the older bulbs is in the dead of "normal" winters we are -30C or so and they give a little bit of heat into the coop too to waylay the frostiness. any light source will work....as long as it's not toxic.
all my barn lights are LED. if the gov really wants to watch me shovel poop or tell the horses "back" when they are pushy for dinner then so be it, i can guarantee it is not exciting, or entertaining.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 am

teflon coated tinfoil hat of course! extra sturdy ;-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:46 pm

ross wrote:roflmbo Haha Al... Santa bringing you a new Tinfoil hat for Xmas ? Good one bud....

Ah but Ross, they do exist :lightbulb:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/24 ... n-you.html
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Sorry Robbie no time to read right now me & BIGFOOTS playing , how far can you run & jump . :-) so far I'm loosing .---
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Hahaha see im not crazy, big foot does exsist and led light can be dangerous. they dont even have to be fitted with survalance chips... just tune into the frequency and it will play what is happening under it.

have a good one ya'll!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 pm

The light off LEDs isn't harmful but the really cheap LED bulbs have crap conversion circuitry in them and they give off an incredible EMF field..thats a concern...i live off grid...i use LEDs throughout except in those @$(:/-?!!"$& outdoors sconces MJ got....smh..anyway, i digress ...get quality bulbs..there's a reason that there's a price diff...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Health”