What to feed a broody hen?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

What to feed a broody hen?

Post by kdms » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:01 pm

We picked up a Black English Orpington rooster, hen, and 5 (now 4 - boo :sad: ) chicks last Saturday, and it's just occurred to me that I have no idea if I should be offering grit to mama hen or not. The chicks are maybe a month old. The rooster has already moved in with the rest of the flock, and the hen and chicks are in our mobile coop in the garage....probably for the rest of the winter.

This is a first for me. Do I give her grit in a high hanging feeder and hope the chicks don't get it? Do I need to worry about it? What should I be feeding her overall?

Thanks....

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: What to feed a broody hen?

Post by thegawd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:05 pm

if your feeding a pelleted feed then no... all grit required is in the feed already.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:09 pm

If your hen is getting feed other than pellets or mash (like whole oats or cracked corn, BOSS etc) then yes she should should get grit. If she is eating chick starter or layer crumbles mash or pellets/commercial food other than scratch grains she shouldnt need any. They use grit to grind up tough foods like bugs, whole grains etc. You should have starter out for the chicks in any event. The chicks dont need grit-and hen grit will be too big for them to eat anyways.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kdms
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kdms » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks. I just remembered why chickens eat grit....and it's been a long day. :sAng_banghead:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:30 pm

With young chicks around the hen, I go out with the shovel and dig up a piece of sod. Put it in the pen with them, upside down. The mother then helps them pick trough it for bugs and bits of sand that they start eating to get the crop and gut working right. I hear about plugged up chicks on chick starter, never seems to happen since I have been doing this.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Health”