Surgery Steeling myself for the dreaded Bumblefoot surgery...any advice???

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Steeling myself for the dreaded Bumblefoot surgery...any advice???

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Way to go, they generally just seem relieved!
Totally, she was such a good girl. Only a few flinches from inside her towel cocoon...& using the kitchen cart as an operating table was a stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. Too bad my genius didn't set in till part way through...d'oh. :idunno:
I just hope I got it all...digits crossed.
Raising BLRW, Rhodebar, CCLegbar & bantam choc Orpington. Keeping various other lovelies just for kicks.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:58 am

Right on! I've only see n it done once and it was Kathy, WLLady who did it for me. and that poor hen was soooooo relieved! thanks again Kathy!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:05 am

I don't know about you but it's best NOT to get my hubby to help. He is the on who flinches and cringes. Easier to just go as fast as you can yourself.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am

LOL. The first time my hubby saw it done i was seriously more worried about him than the chicken! Instant PALE.....lol. but kudos to poultry_admin, he did not pass out. thankfully.
It's tough the first time, but once you see how fast they bounce back the second, third, tenth, twentieth times are nuthin!
i think now i can do them in about a minute....
good for you getting it done!!!! how's she doing?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:58 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST LOL. The first time my hubby saw it done i was seriously more worried about him than the chicken! Instant PALE.....lol. but kudos to poultry_admin, he did not pass out. thankfully.
It's tough the first time, but once you see how fast they bounce back the second, third, tenth, twentieth times are nuthin!
i think now i can do them in about a minute....
good for you getting it done!!!! how's she doing?
Wholly...minutes?? You are amazing. She is not limping any more; I just hope I got it all cause there was no hard plug. I plan to keep an eye on her but leave the bandage on for a couple more days (if I can restrain myself).
Raising BLRW, Rhodebar, CCLegbar & bantam choc Orpington. Keeping various other lovelies just for kicks.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Actually-take the bandage off after 24 hours....you will be shocked at how fast their feet heal up. and if you leave them wrapped too long the skin will actually try to drag the bandage into the foot....if it's still open you can always rewrap....but i find they heal pretty much in 24 hours.
glad she isn't limping! that's a good thing! sometimes when you catch the bumblefoot early there isn't that ugly awful huge plug. and sometimes just opening it and packing it with ointment gets whatever is in there.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

MuskokaMaiden
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MuskokaMaiden » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST Actually-take the bandage off after 24 hours....you will be shocked at how fast their feet heal up. and if you leave them wrapped too long the skin will actually try to drag the bandage into the foot....if it's still open you can always rewrap....but i find they heal pretty much in 24 hours.
glad she isn't limping! that's a good thing! sometimes when you catch the bumblefoot early there isn't that ugly awful huge plug. and sometimes just opening it and packing it with ointment gets whatever is in there.
I read this & (literally) dashed outside & accosted the poor girl before she began her day. The one small toe wound was ready to be left unwrapped but the other one on her pad was still open so I rewrapped. She was pissed but snapped outta it when I presented her with a feed of goodies.
Thx for the input :yippiechickie:

BTW, neither foamed when sprayed with peroxide...prognosis good.

Return to “Health”