Necropsy Fatty Liver- Autopsy- Part 1 Not too bad yet but WARNING GRAPHIC advice needed

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Fatty Liver- Autopsy- Part 1 Not too bad yet but WARNING GRAPHIC advice needed

Post by Robbie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:03 pm

One of my Buckeye hens has not been doing that well. I've been monitoring this large "blister" thing on her bum for a few weeks, and it was growing. To top it off she's broody so her behaviour is out of whack anyway. Her abdomen looked loose and droopy, and it felt pretty squishy. I read up on possible things (I thought it was ascites and her belly was full of fluid)and her future looked grim, I did not want it to get to the point where she would die on her own suffering the whole time so I did the deed, and figured I should at least do an autopsy.
Here's the blister, the skin looked like it was thinning and it might burst. Her vent is to the left, the blister is under the vent, this picture is sideways. It is about an inch in diameter and sticks out about an inch as well. Feathers were trimmed earlier, she had been pooping on it.
She is alive at this point being held upside down, the thing sunk back in when she was being held like this.
20160725_123807.jpg
Here's what it looks like when she's held horizontally
20160725_123839.jpg
Here she is, dry plucked in a big tray. I took precautions with latex gloves and saftety glasses, I did not want to risk infection or disease because I knew the hen wasn't healthy but not sure why.

20160725_130459.jpg
You can see the abnormal abdominal bulge.
20160725_130506.jpg
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Health”