Solved How often are your chicks getting lice, scaly leg mites and bumblefoot?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Satellite
On the Roost

How often are your chicks getting lice, scaly leg mites and bumblefoot?

Post by Satellite » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 pm

I am in my second year of chickens and it is one after the otherr after the other, despite what I thought was reasonable precautions. ....are they just that common that they will occur regularly?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:15 pm

This is my second year, and I have not seen any of those things. My chicks all hatched from eggs here or acquired as hatchery day olds. They free range. The closest chickens are about a quarter of a mile away.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 pm

In my 20+ years of raising poultry, I have had scaly mites once, they came on a Silky cockerel purchased at an auction.
Have not seen anything else since then.
My birds free range, so there is always a chance they will pick up something from wild birds, so I treat all birds with Ivomec in the fall before the new pullets join the flock and start laying and in the spring, before breeding season.
That seems to be all that is needed to keep everybody free of any unwelcome passengers ;)

Satellite
On the Roost

Post by Satellite » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:08 am

Much thanks. I am getting ivomec shortly!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:50 am

I do the same as OC. I have had bumblefoot and it seemed mty AUstralorps were especially prone to it. Adjusted roost heights so thy didn't have to jump down as far.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 am

I've had mites. Just because I have chickens. I dust them with carbaryl quarterly or so and treat with ivermectin if I see a problem. This year everyone will be getting ivermectin in late fall. My flock free ranges and they have many dusting areas that I supplement with DE.
I also have Tupperware (the ones that are meant for under bed storage) in a covered pen so on rainy days and during the winter they can still dust.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:09 am

I also use some natural herbs and essential oils to ward off many pests. Although not alway successful I feel good using it. Lol.

In my first year I swear I had everything thrown at me. Don't stress too much. Just try to learn from each experience and remember you got chickens to enjoy them (likely) so do that, enjoy them.

I did deep litter also. Gave up on it because I am too OCD on bugs. I use a poop tarp and I empty the coop twice a year. That's it. Tarp gets emptied every day and scrubbed down every other day. Plus it gives me the opportunity to exam poop.
image.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:27 am

Broody girls love your pot pourri in their boxes. Keeps the smell sown and no bug issues!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:35 am

It really is good stuff. Glad they love it KB! My girls will throw it over their backs when I put a new scoop in. Spoiled!

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:46 am

We get mites yearly and you just have to dust the birds for it with poultry dust powder. We have gotten rid of Scaly leg mites by using a tooth brush and scrubbing the legs and then covering in vegetable oil to suffocate them.
We have had our share of bumble foot if they get a scratch on the foot then the Staph bacteria get in and they get Bumble foot.
They have gotten it from Pine needles, gravel, and getting off of roosts landing on shavings. All you can do is protect them the best you can. Some breeds are more susceptible than others. My silkies tend to get bugs all the time as the hens are broodie sitting on the floor just before hatch time we will dust them to help protect the young.

Just manage the environment and keep an eye on your birds and they will let you know when there is a problem, handle them and look at them you will spot any issue.

Return to “Health”