Infectious Laryngo Tracheitis ILT Alert

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Zlorfik,

I would say since you are starting over fresh and there have been a couple other ILT alerts in Eastern Ontario since yours I would vaccinate if I were you.

Best of luck.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 am

This is the disease I always vaccinate for.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm

sounds like fair advice. Would you vaccinate with the eye drop one at 6 weeks? Or vaccinate the way the PA government suggests, diluted early on? Any thoughts about our decontamination plan?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 pm

I sure hope you don't feel embarrassed or that you are a terrible poultry keeper because poop happens and any one of us could have gotten hit. You're taking the right steps good luck!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 pm

I use the non shedding one which is the eye dropper route. It lets you bring in other birds. This year I am doing the booster on all the previously vaccinated birds and the when I'm done all hatching do the youngsters with a booster.
It IS slightly less effective but I believe less risky.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Lime for cleaning...Raked into the sand, and scrubbed into coop surfaces, or easier is mixed with water to make whitewash and soak everything.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST I use the non shedding one which is the eye dropper route. It lets you bring in other birds. This year I am doing the booster on all the previously vaccinated birds and the when I'm done all hatching do the youngsters with a booster.
It IS slightly less effective but I believe less risky.

KB just out of curiosity if your flock had it can you still vaccinate or are your birds carriers after?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:44 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST Lime for cleaning...Raked into the sand, and scrubbed into coop surfaces, or easier is mixed with water to make whitewash and soak everything.
Agree ....
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:51 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST Lime for cleaning...Raked into the sand, and scrubbed into coop surfaces, or easier is mixed with water to make whitewash and soak everything.
How much lime?

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Zlorfik wrote:QR_BBPOST sounds like fair advice. Would you vaccinate with the eye drop one at 6 weeks? Or vaccinate the way the PA government suggests, diluted early on? Any thoughts about our decontamination plan?
The recommendations from the PA government site are for the CEO (chick embryo origin) vaccine, which is different the the most commonly used vaccine, that I think people on this site use, which is TCO (tissue culture origin). The CEO vaccine is stronger but it is riskier to use. The Alberta government recommends not to use CEO vaccines.

Three types of vaccine are available:
Recombinant (rLT) vaccine – may be administered at the hatchery in 18-day-old embryos or day-old chicks. This vaccine also currently contains protection against Marek’s Disease. Vaccine virus is not shed; therefore, unvaccinated birds are not at risk. Contact your hatchery if you wish to implement this option.

Tissue culture origin (TCO) vaccine – administered as an eye drop to each chicken. This vaccine can be administered in the face of an outbreak to help reduce shedding of the virus. This is a live virus vaccine that will not revert to virulence and is the one currently recommended.

Chick embryo origin (CEO) vaccine – strongly not recommended because this vaccine virus can revert to virulence and cause severe disease in vaccinated and unvaccinated birds.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department ... /agdex2216

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Health”