Infectious Laryngo Tracheitis ILT Alert

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Yes probably is, my wife's account on BYC is Short Hen Tall Pen, but I', the grunt doing the nasty work here :)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Yes I sent the link to this thread when I read what you guys have been going through. Is Guelph doing the necropsies? When did they think they would have a solid diagnosis for you? Sorry I'm not much help in the advice department. I've been lucky and haven't had to experience that yet but it can happen to anyone. I had no clue there was so many illnesses a chicken could get!
If you do end up starting over there's A LOT of very reputable folks on here that would be happy to fill your chick needs.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Just doing some homework... Here's from Alberta Agriculture http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department ... /agdex2216

According to this info waterfowl are not susceptible to this virus and it appears they don't shed it so its bird to bird among chickens, peafowl and pheasants. As a virus it can track in your boots, equipment from place to place. "The most important means of spreading ILT is by direct contact between susceptible and infected birds. The virus can also be carried into poultry houses or other farms on contaminated equipment and vehicles, or on dirty footwear and clothing. Humans can be implicated in the spread of infection between farms."

So it seems that if they are with or without waterfowl makes no difference: just that it could be carried on chickens, your boots, and equipment.

They also mention that heat, sun, and disinfectant kills the virus so a summer without chickens and your place should be free and clear (including cleaning out and disinfecting your place).
Once you've done that then its standard biosecurity measures. The virus can hide or be dormant on a bird and only become active under times of stress therefore buying birds that look healthy is no guarantee that they are.

I've kept birds 30 years (since I was a kid) and have bought birds infrequently and have not had issues with this virus (with no biosecurity measures until this year).
So I say adopt reasonable precautions and you should be fine going forward. And buy birds from outside your area for near future.

Godspeed and good luck!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:01 pm

If you want a summer without chickens: there's lots of birds you CAN have. Waterfowl and quails would be my first recommendation. Coturnix quail actually run with a faster metabolism and higher body temp than chickens so I've read that salmonella is non existent in these birds or eggs.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:54 pm

I got ILT in one of my coops a couple years ago, caught near as I can tell, from wild birds. I luckily managed to keep it out of the other three coops. It killed (or I put down) half the birds in that coop, and I decided not to depopulate because the birds affected were darn near irreplaceable, and luckily had access to vaccine fairly locally and now vaccinate all my birds. That's my personal choice, and is probably the more dangerous and tricky of the two compared to depopulation and starting over. You'll get zero judgment from me, I think you've picked the harder road physically and emotionally, and I know what a difficult decision it is. Just out of curiousity, why are you waiting until February?

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:22 am

I would like to wait because it is highly impractical to decontaminate in the winter time: the sand is frozen, some doors are shut, the pressure washer will not work and would in any case create a skating ring. In the meantime, I like my eggs :) Finally, we take our pullets from Performance POultry now and they will only deliver in April. Therefore I figure depopulate in March, clean scrub several times, bring in newcomers mid-April.
Also, I have a lot of poultry processing equipment but would not dare operate it in subzero temperatures and therefore would rather wait until the temperature is milder to depopulate, particularly if the meat is still proper for consumption (it is with MG) - sorry if I offended anyone who does not support eating the birds, for us it is only a form of respect after a life of producing eggs.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:06 am

I don't eat my birds but I'm certainly not offended by anyone who does and I doubt anyone on here would be. After all chicken is one of my favorite foods!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:30 am

Zlorfik...fire up the BBQ! i still think you should go a few months chicken free. Duck eggs are good as are quail eggs. Did you read the thread about quail and allergies?

http://poultrytalkontario.net/forum/vie ... ilit=Quail
http://poultrytalkontario.net/forum/vie ... ilit=Quail

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:51 am

I have no experience with ILT, so no advice to give, but you do have my compassionate support. For what it's worth, I think your plan sounds like a good one, given your circumstances and the time of year.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:18 am

No judgement here. I eat my birds too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Health”