Infectious Laryngo Tracheitis ILT Alert

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 am

Zlorfik wrote:QR_BBPOST I would like to wait because it is highly impractical to decontaminate in the winter time: the sand is frozen, some doors are shut, the pressure washer will not work and would in any case create a skating ring. In the meantime, I like my eggs :) Finally, we take our pullets from Performance POultry now and they will only deliver in April. Therefore I figure depopulate in March, clean scrub several times, bring in newcomers mid-April.
Also, I have a lot of poultry processing equipment but would not dare operate it in subzero temperatures and therefore would rather wait until the temperature is milder to depopulate, particularly if the meat is still proper for consumption (it is with MG) - sorry if I offended anyone who does not support eating the birds, for us it is only a form of respect after a life of producing eggs.
Congrats on taking a sensible approach to things, it takes a cool head and lots of resolve to deal with a situation like that.
We have all made at least some of the mistakes you did at the start, some of us got away with it, you had the misfortune of getting a bad one in the mix.
Hope we have an early spring to get you on your way to a fresh start.

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi everyone, I don't know if the notice is about me or someone else but CFO and Feather Board just put out an ILT notice for SDG based on OMAFRA lab testing. These could be my birds although it would be annoying that I haven't been told first!
Last edited by Zlorfik on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Im really sorry to hear that, all of us on here understand what your going through and appreciate how you come out and let us know to kept us in the loop.

the Alert Modern17, Troy originally Posted about was from July 10 2016. He works closely with the boards and gets the information out to us. Thanks Troy. Some of us on here are on an email list to receive these alerts as well and I havent received anything yet.

take care eh.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Here is the new notice text:

----

On behalf of the four feather boards, the Feather Board Command Centre (FBCC) is issuing an ILT Disease advisory to all poultry farmers and small flock growers in a 10 km radius buffered zone within the United Counties of Stormont Dundas and Glengarry (SDG). A copy of the full advisory is attached for your refence.

Should you suspect any signs of health concerns in your flock, please contact your veterinarian as well as the CFO Infectious Poultry Disease Hotline – 1-877-767-2973 (SOS BYRD).

----
Attachments
ILT_SDG Counties Dec 2016_Producer_Advisory.pdf
(334.49 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:13 pm

Just to clarify, all I know about my birds is that Guelph confirmed today it WAS NOT avian influenza, but that's it. This could be another flock entirely.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Zlorfik wrote:QR_BBPOST Just to clarify, all I know about my birds is that Guelph confirmed today it WAS NOT avian influenza, but that's it. This could be another flock entirely.
I hope you get an answer soon. Must be horrible waiting to find out. Have you had any others come down sick?

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:14 pm

No we're all good! It's over! My juvies (which are the ones that had died) are all healthy and happy. No sneezing, no nothing, and as you know it's been... well, cold.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 am

My outbreak happened in December as well. I was anxious to clean/disinfect, and on the advice of a good member here, I believe it was Ross, I used lime. It seemed to do the trick, and was much preferable to spending hours with water in the cold!

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Does anyone know if the original one that Troy posted is still active? Thanks!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Zlorfik
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Zlorfik » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi everyone, I'm the lucky owner of the 16DEC Eastern ONtario ILT Advisory Flock :) Fast forward to March, all is good, flock is producing well, even though a rooster was dispatched because he was sick recently. As discussed months ago, my thoughts are now turning to de-population (and re-population!) and I have a question, namely how best to decontaminate. A few things to keep in mind:
1. The barn is wood, unheated, no electrics: therefore relying on temperature will not work.
2. I am waiting on a warm day to depopulate, and then will need to wait until it's warm enough to break the bedding (sand) and carry it out - what do I do with it? Can i use it for compost outside of the chicken's reach?
3. Once I've removed the sand, what then? Our thoughts are, pressure wash, then 1% virkon solution scrubbed on with stiff brush, then pressure wash. Soak and scrub all equipment with Virkon. Thoughts?
4. Finally, wondering whether we should vaccinate our new flocks as they will be @high risk@ (Infectious Laryngotrachei tis Virus (ILT) Facts) should I vaccinate as suggested, or not bother?

We'll be receiving 50 new layers, all rare breeds; we also raise about 100 meat broilers a year + turkey, which we home process.

Thoughts and input welcome

Return to “Health”