Does Marek's Vaccine Shed?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Lori
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Lori » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:52 pm

We're getting some white rock day olds on Tuesday, and they apparently all come vaccinated against Marek's. We already have some Silkies, some Easter Eggers, some mixed layers and a few other miscellaneous breeds, none of which have been vaccinated. The white rocks will have their own pen, but that pen is in the same barn as the rest of the flock pens. How big a danger is this to our existing flock? Will the white rocks shed the virus and infect my other birds? I've read the actual virus is so contagious that if you have a bird that has had it, you should change your clothing and footwear and disinfect yourself before interacting with any birds that have not had it or been vaccinated. I love my little Silkies, and would be pretty upset if those ugly old white rocks made my fuzz balls sick.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:48 pm

As far as i know all the marek's vaccines in canada are shedding vaccines.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Yes it is a live attenuated virus. Hopefully your current birds are already resistant. You need to check out the risk before accepting the chicks.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:41 am

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tth ... dangerous/

This article I read last year some time but kept it and have explored some of the aspect noted in it.

I will not bring in hatchery birds anymore because of the vaccine now that I have non hatchery birds it's just not an option. I considered white rock/franken chickens but they would go to a friends place locally, but I wouldn't put them here with my flock. Too dangerous. Just my thoughts :)
Last edited by Maximus on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by nekoatsume » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 am

Wow, had no idea this was a possibility. Seems like they should post warnings on their sites? Anyway, can you vaccinate your existing flock first? Do we have access to the vaccines to do this?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:22 am

I can source a few vaccines, not sure if mareks is one of them. I wonder if you can get them on farmers Farmacy?

If they advertised / put up notices I bet sales would drop or they'd be enindated with phone calls. Consumers responsibility.

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by nekoatsume » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:32 am

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST I can source a few vaccines, not sure if mareks is one of them. I wonder if you can get them on farmers Farmacy?

If they advertised / put up notices I bet sales would drop or they'd be enindated with phone calls. Consumers responsibility.[/quote
Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST I can source a few vaccines, not sure if mareks is one of them. I wonder if you can get them on farmers Farmacy?
Not listed on their site. Do they have more stock not listed generally?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:37 am

I'm not sure. I'm new to them. Maybe worth a phone call?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:38 am

I wonder if you can buy from a livestock vet?

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:48 pm

I know around here there is a vet that sells it but it is in a lot of 1000 doses so you end up with a lot you don't need.

Return to “Health”