Egg bound?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Egg bound?

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Fri May 06, 2016 9:10 am

I'm sure it was egg white and a little piece of the rubbery she'll
She was fine afterwards and last night. So I'm hoping she's fine
I have had a shell less egg on the poop tray on and of for a few weeks
So might be her?
Any ideas why this is happening?
They have free choice oyster shells
And I know she is capable of laying a normal egg because I have seen her lay

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Egg bound?

Post by Jaye » Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am

Just something to try: I also "nuke" or bake, and crush my hens eggshells to give back to them free-choice, because some of mine don't seem to like the oyster shell, but do eat the crushed eggshells.
As for what's causing the shell-less eggs from time to time, that could be a number of things, ranging from sporadic glitch in her reproductive system, or not enough calcium available for the eggshell on a given day, or if she's just started laying it's her reproductive system sorting itself out, or if she's an older hen, her body isn't as efficient at extracting calcium from her feed ...
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Egg bound?

Post by WLLady » Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 am

so she may not be eating enough calcium. the way to tell is to separate her and give her oyster shell and see if she's eating it. if she isn't then hard boil some egg and mash it with the shell on it. they'll eat all of it. if that doesn't work, you can get calcium injections....and try that. if she doesn't start laying shelled eggs in short order after getting any calcium (give her a week because it takes 2-3 days for an egg to form and come down the tract) then she has something wrong with the egg shell gland and should probably be culled or she will eventually egg bind completely and start laying internally. and that's deadly. unfortunately
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Egg bound?

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Fri May 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Ok thank you

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Egg bound?

Post by ross » Fri May 06, 2016 3:54 pm

:big chicken:
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA