Inverted comb?

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Inverted comb?

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue May 03, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm guessing it's hereditary?
Not the dad of this chick but I guess you would call it the grandfather of this chick had an inverted comb
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Inverted comb?

Post by kenya » Tue May 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Weird! I've never seen a comb like that before.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Inverted comb?

Post by Robbie » Tue May 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes it is heritable, but I was never able to find out just how it was inherited. I had a Cornish rooster with an inverted pea comb, the hens can have one too but it's harder to see. My best rooster had this comb, and I decided to cull him based on that comb, because it can get infected- it's a disqualification for the SOP and can be problematic for the chicken. Grant Bereton of Wyandotte fame recommends not breeding a bird with such a comb.
One breeder I corresponded with said he had bred a rooster that had an inverted comb, and got some chicks with and some without, but he did not do any sort of trial that would indicate whether it's sex linked, dominant, recessive, or neither.
Best not to breed him unless he's superb in every other way based on what others have told me.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Inverted comb?

Post by Shnookie » Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Would that be called an "inny" comb? :rofl:

Flat Rock Farm

Inverted comb?

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun May 08, 2016 6:52 am

Wow I have never seen one either, and yes if the grandfather had one it would be hereditary.

@ Schnookie, thanks for my morning laugh!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Return to “Health”