Avian Gout

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Avian Gout

Post by Robbie » Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 am

FYI. It's a rare thing, probably not going to be a problem for free ranged hens, but I am a bit concerned for my rooster as he eats layer feed, which has too high calcium for a rooster.
https://info.biomin.net/acton/fs/blocks ... /page/fm/3 There's a handy checklist at the bottom of the page.
"Due to its complex aetiology, it is difficult to diagnose; however, the most common signs are dehydration, pale combs, depression and swelling and reddening of the feet which impair bird movement. In layers, where it is mainly observed, avian gout can lead to mortalities up to 50%, with 19-35 week-old hens mostly affected."
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Avian Gout

Post by ross » Tue May 03, 2016 10:49 am

Guess I don't have to worry all mine are loose 24/7 feeding outside on seeds , critters etc & a bucket of Turkey grower pellets in barn if they want . Don't eat much pellets when out grazing though . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Avian Gout

Post by Jaye » Tue May 03, 2016 11:18 am

Robbie, is you rooster free-ranged at all?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Robbie
Head Chicken

Avian Gout

Post by Robbie » Tue May 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Robbie, is you rooster free-ranged at all?
Yes he is, and he can sort through the Windy fields mash somewhat in the winter when I don't wet it. But he does eat some of the layer pellets.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Avian Gout

Post by Robbie » Tue May 03, 2016 1:47 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST Guess I don't have to worry all mine are loose 24/7 feeding outside on seeds , critters etc & a bucket of Turkey grower pellets in barn if they want . Don't eat much pellets when out grazing though . Luck
Do you give oyster shell? I have that for the hens, they eat it, the rooster thankfully never does.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Avian Gout

Post by Jaye » Tue May 03, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm obviously not an expert, but based on what you have said, I really don't think you have anything to worry about, based on your management practices. He gets lots of other stuff when he free-ranges, he doesn't eat the free choice oyster shell, and he only eats "some" layer pellets along with everything else he consumes in the run of a day. I would guess that the percentage of pellets in his diet is not significant enough to give him too much calcium.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Avian Gout

Post by ross » Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Nope all get same Tpellets & free range . I have 2 roosters out with 20 hens . Luck
PS I do have a pail of grower grit in barn but they eat little .
Last edited by ross on Tue May 03, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Avian Gout

Post by WLLady » Tue May 03, 2016 4:35 pm

hm i've had lots of roosters all on just layer pellets and free choice oyster shell and grit for the girls and the boys never eat the oyster shell and i have had no issues whatsoever with any of my roosters, and some are pushing 4 or 5 years old now.....and no, some of them don't free range but i do provide grit and sunflower seeds....and some apples off and on.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”