Mites on eggs

Forum rules
Any advice in this section should not be taken to overrule advice by a certified licensed veterinarian. You should always consult a veterinarian for treatment or diagnoses of animal disease or injury. The information in this thread is simply the experience of board members and is not to be taken as a substitution for veterinary advice or treatment.
SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:54 pm

So I was walking to the coop when I got home and thought, it really never gets old collecting eggs ... Then I picked up an egg and mites were on it. Crawling.

I've emailed a few people in a panic, but ill be out of daylight hours so a complete empty of the coop has to wait till tomorrow.

For the flock:
Invermectin?
Carbaryl? (Spelling?)
Both?
Burn coop down?

I'm thinking empty entire coop. Vacuum coop. Spray walls, corners, and roost with vinegar, canola oil and dish soap mixture. Follow it with a clove oil and water mixture spray.

Clean and dust all nesting boxes and their slots they sit in. Put in new box material. Putting a lot of herbs, especially wormwood in nesting boxes.

Line coop floor with DE, pour extra in corners. Put minimal bedding on floor in case it has to be emptied again.

All else fails, light a match and jump off a cliff.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Mites on eggs

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I would start of by checking if they are indeed mites, and what type, before taking any more drastic actions.

SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Got a plan from a member. I'm good to go :)

Thanks

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Mites on eggs

Post by Robbie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:50 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST So I was walking to the coop when I got home and thought, it really never gets old collecting eggs ... Then I picked up an egg and mites were on it. Crawling.

I've emailed a few people in a panic, but ill be out of daylight hours so a complete empty of the coop has to wait till tomorrow.

For the flock:
Invermectin?
Carbaryl? (Spelling?)
Both?
Burn coop down?

I'm thinking empty entire coop. Vacuum coop. Spray walls, corners, and roost with vinegar, canola oil and dish soap mixture. Follow it with a clove oil and water mixture spray.

Clean and dust all nesting boxes and their slots they sit in. Put in new box material. Putting a lot of herbs, especially wormwood in nesting boxes.

Line coop floor with DE, pour extra in corners. Put minimal bedding on floor in case it has to be emptied again.

All else fails, light a match and jump off a cliff.
Sandy, I'll be unpopular for saying this, but dish soap, DE, vinegar and canola oil will not do squat to eradicate mites. You are wasting your time with that stuff for this problem. I don't know about wormwood or clove oil but I've seen some research that shows oregano oil may be somewhat effective.
Again it depends a lot on which one you have. People in the UK, where red mite seems to be more of a problem (at least based on the numbers of people complaining about them!) have considered burning down the coop. But I think we can solve your problem without having to resort to that!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Mites on eggs

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:02 pm

Yup, treating birds and cleaning out nesting boxes and will clean out coop after second or third treatment on birds.

In the mean time I'm going to keep the ick factor under control. For once. LOL!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Mites on eggs

Post by TomK » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:12 pm

Can't be done..keeping the ick factor under control i mean....lol...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Mites on eggs

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:16 pm

First, make sure they're pest mites and not wood mites. An infestation is uncommon this time of year unless you've got a sick hen or a broody one I.e. not dustbathing...they won't stay on hens that are dustbathing regularly. Burning the coop down won't help, they're everywhere in the environment due to wild bird hosts and rodent carriers LOL there's no way to eradicate them only keep the numbers down. I always break out the big guns if I've got an infested broody.

kenya
Henny Penny

Mites on eggs

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Burn the coop down! Ha! Ha! You are too funny.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Mites on eggs

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:35 pm

isnt it to cold for mites??? they would have to be on a bird then right?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Mites on eggs

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Nope not too cold for mites.....trust me. I had 4 free ranging roosters under treatment a week ago-so far critter free again. The wild birds are scoping out nest sites and rodents are breeding like, -well-, rodents....they carry mites....mites love young rodents.....
Right now is probably the worst time for mites inside....warm during the day and lots of hosts.
Get out that carbaryl dusting powder and pour on ivomec. Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Health”